Time and TIME AGAIN...40 lbs of organic pellets in 2 weeks and 4 days. WTF?

gclarrot

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
I purchased a bag of Dumor organic layer pellets January 1st. It's now TWO weeks since I purchased it and I just put the last bit into the feeder today and bought a new bag this afternoon. I probably won't refill their (12 ladies who are all laying except 1 lone lady which is a SLW) feeder until Monday A.M. I am getting about 6 - 8 eggs a day and their shells are hard.
They range on 1 acre and their water and feed they have full access today.
Previously, they were on all flock. The 50 lb bag and it lasted a month and 2 weeks. I had half a bag of all flock on Dec. 20th (when i bought my first bag of organic, and mixed it in slowly..slowly transitioning).

Are they eating too much? is this normal for cooler temps? We have average temps here in Central Florida. Some days getting to almost 80 and some days hitting low to high 60s. I am gonna face it - florida is erratic and crazy with weather right now. The coldest winter i have remembered in over 10 years.

body conditioning of my ladies seem very healthy and not overweight *yet* comparing to what dr. google says. they get scraps on kitchen clean out days, including argula, spinach, etc.

This can't be normal. is it normal? Should i start fementing? i am shocked.

A chicken eats approximately 4 Oz of each.
13x4=62 ÷16oz (1lb) = 3.25 pounds a day for everyone.
3.25 x 18 days = 58 lbs.
You're actually supposed to have run out 6 days ago, so the scraps help.
Do their keel bones feel prominent ? That's a good Guage on weight.

A chicken eats approximately 4 Oz of each.
13x4=62 ÷16oz (1lb) = 3.25 pounds a day for everyone.
3.25 x 18 days = 58 lbs.
You're actually supposed to have run out 6 days ago, so the scraps help.
Do their keel bones feel prominent ? That's a good Guage on weight.
I still had 10 lbs give or take of all flock as I bought it Dec. 20th.
then I added the 40 lbs on top of it so that makes sense!

Thank you for clarifying that!

You're welcome.
It always feel like a just bought feed. They eat me out of house and home.
I honestly can't even believe it. I go in between a local feed and TSC but..it feels like i'm always SOMEWHERE buying food. I have an almost 8 year old and 12 year old. If it's not for them it's for chickens it feels like right now.

Chickens eat so much, people don’t realize how expensive chickens are until they actually get them. I go through one 50 lb bag each week. You should free range, free ranging let’s chickens eat plants so they don’t eat as much food.

Chickens eat so much, people don’t realize how expensive chickens are until they actually get them. I go through one 50 lb bag each week. You should free range, free ranging let’s chickens eat plants so they don’t eat as much food.

🤣 I am just surprised how much they’re eating currently. I’m not really upset about the price because I’m lucky I can afford it.

Ps everything is legit dead in my yard currently not a single thing green

I honestly can't even believe it. I go in between a local feed and TSC but..it feels like i'm always SOMEWHERE buying food. I have an almost 8 year old and 12 year old. If it's not for them it's for chickens it feels like right now.
Since winter with less day light they don't lay as much. They are going through a molt. It seems they eat a little bit more.

I have 8 chix that are 8.5 months. I get 2 - 4 eggs a day. Depends on the weather. Different breeds in different stages of feather loss/growth.

I am feeding grower crumbles for 30 days with a 10 day transition on each side from layer pellets & grower crumbles. Always oyster shell available. They eat alot before roosting. It helps them stay warm, with mild winter here.

I fill my feeders and waterer's every day.

You can get food from Chewy.com and not have to go to the feed store so you don't have to go every day.

Back
Top Bottom