1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Time for light!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tpeila, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tpeila

tpeila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    5 pullets. NO eggs in THREE weeks!
    I think its time for a light on a timer and extention cord [​IMG]

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    You could try that:) I had a hen who stopped laying until' I put a lamp in their coop:)

3. tpeila

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Yeha I tihnk that is where I am going to put it. In the coopr up high and on a timer for a couple more hours at night.
    Spoiled little things

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:If you don't mind a "tip", add the light only in the pre-dawn hours. Add one 15 minute "click" on your timer, per day, until you build up to two hours, or whatever you prefer in total added, pre-dawn hours of supplemental light. The incremental increase is very effective.

5. tpeila

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Just curious why predawn?
    I don't get up that early. [​IMG]

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    My egg production went from 2 a day from 48 hens to 19 today!! I did add supplemental light, starts at 4AM and off at 8PM. On a timer of course [​IMG] I'm an early bird but not that early!
    Ayda

7. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    I put a light in my coop in the morning hours...makes all the difference in the world.

I think that the pre dawn lighting method is preferred, because of something to do with the gradual decrease of light at sunset prepares the birds for dark so that they can get on their roost and prepare themselves...if the light just goes off they are kind of left in the dark. I used to light a little before dawn and a little after sunset, but I have much better egg production when I do the just before dawn lighting. If you put it on a timer, you won't have to worry about whether you are up or not.

Good luck!

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:If you don't mind a "tip", add the light only in the pre-dawn hours. Add one 15 minute "click" on your timer, per day, until you build up to two hours, or whatever you prefer in total added, pre-dawn hours of supplemental light. The incremental increase is very effective.

Agree. It's worked for me.​

9. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    chickens need 14 hours of light to lay.........

10. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:Adding light in the morning will get the hens up and moving. If you were to add light in the evening, when the lights turns off, it will be pitch dark and they will not be able to see to get on their roosts.

Use a automatic timer - sold just about everywhere and definitely worth the money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by