Time for Resting Eggs?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by JLeigh, May 19, 2012.

1. JLeigh

JLeigh Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    My eggs arrived unscathed this morning at 10:00 a.m. (Eastern Time). How long should I let the eggs settle before putting them in the incubator? It's 7:00 p.m. now. Would 10:00 tonight be too early? First thing in the morning be better? The temperature in the room is a pretty constant 65-70 degrees F. That's where they will incubate.

My humidity is at 42% and temp is remaining steadily a couple of 10ths of a degree above/below 99.5. I'm wondering if the only thing that could be better is if I sat on them myself! Granted, I'd have to lose a little weight first...(sheesh, I wish!)

The auto turner is set and ready to go live as soon as the eggs are ready to go in. Just wondering when the best time will be. TIA ya'll.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I just replied to another thread on this same topic. Lots of people believe in letting shipped eggs rest for 24 hours. A successful breeder told me that letting them rest just results in old eggs. LOL! I don't know. I never let mine rest - and I've had great hatches, and I've had bad hatches. My worst hatch (0% hatch rate) was with some eggs I picked up locally. My best hatch (80%) was with eggs shipped from a couple states over. I didn't let any of those eggs rest.

You'll get differing opinions. Read them all and make the decision you feel most comfortable with. I don't see any harm in letting them rest since fertilized eggs are good for at least a week or two. I just don't do it myself.

3. JLeigh

JLeigh Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    Cool. They're going in NOW. Thank you.

I figure I'll just split the difference. I don't really know how old these eggs are, except that the seller has a good reputation and was great to work with. I know they're at least three days old though - shipping time.

Day One and now counting. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: