Time to bring back Coon Hats!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Urbanfarmerkc, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Ok, after dealing with them danged old pesky varments (aka: coons) I have come to the conclusion it is time to bring back the coon hat and while we are at it the coon coat, coon scarf, coon shoes, coon belts and any other garment we can make them into.

Also, while we are at it, maybe we should reconsider coon as a delicacy... Coon burgers, coon spaghetti... I'm sure the meat is tasty and think how much better on the environment coon would be than cow...

We are missing a great chance here people so whose with me?

(speaking conspiratorially) Think about this people, if we sell this right, our number one chicken predator will be GONE!!! Now don't get me wrong, I'm NOT for mass extinction... We should reserve some for zoos... you know... behind BARS!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Any predator that gets caught in my traps or that I shoot becomes a pelt... well.. except for a skunk.. I refuse to try to de-skunk a pelt....

3. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

I'm not sure I'd want to eat a raccoon - raccoon roundworms can be deadly to people if they aren't definitely dead before ingesting the raccoon.

On the other hand, I think they might make good hats and great liners for winter gloves.

We even found a use for the skunk we dispatched. Nothing says quit tailgating like a dead skunk in the back of your truck. [​IMG]

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    My husband said that a local eatin' joint used to serve things like barbecued raccoon - and it was quite tasty! (My husband's still here, so I guess they cooked it thoroughly!)

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha! I tried to eat a coon onetime. The tallowy film it left in my mouth for what seemed like days turned me off for life. I can still remember the sensation. According to some folks that do eat them, they are quite tasty and I just didn`t cook it right. I do OK with armadillo, rattlesnake, alligator, and such, but I`ll leave the coon to those who have been taught how to cook it........Pop

6. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Can you just see Victoria's Secrets new line???

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I've eaten coon before. Of course mom just told us it was chicken!

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

How about his and hers coon skin undies.....great for a cold night!

9. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Thanks, you guys made me feel better... I had nasty visions of the Victoria Secrets and the underwear addition... ROFL... Still think it is a good clothing idea though!

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    The Republic's most glorious polymath wowed the French by arriving in Paris sporting a most rustic chapeau. The most famous `propaganda hat' in our history was coon:
    [​IMG]

More pedestrian and utilitarian use (just saying):
    [​IMG]

Learn to remove all scent glands/marinate before sauteing/cube and can in Ball Jars: Market it as `Boutique Meat Product'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by