Time to consider housing for the ducks and geese

SDChef

Songster
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
hey everyone...

as the title says I need to figure out if I need to house my animals. I have 6 ducks and 3 toulouse goslings that are 3 weeks old today and soon they will need to be moved from the shed where they currently are out into the yard or into a new duck house. I know from reading a lot of posts that most BYC duck owners like to secure their birds up at night. I am in the situation where I do not have a predator problem, in fact I live less than 5 minutes and no freeways from downtown San Diego. My yard is completely surrounded by fences and walls at least 7ft tall. I have never seen anything in or around the yard and since there are a lack of trees and cats in the area I am thinking that I may just leave them on their own. I have also been given 3 large dog houses that I can place together on one side of the yard so they have protection from the weather. With the fences, lack of wild animals and 3 geese going to be enough for my ducks? I'm trying NOT to make my house look like a poultry farm thus not wanting another coop and run. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

here is a picture of them today free ranging the backyard for the first time
48460_528817151_1867565192_0.jpeg

Quote:
If your yard is as secure as you say it is they can free range. The ducks might want some cover and the 3 dog houses could provide that. The last time I was in San Diego '60s the place was crawing with flying rats (seagulls) if the gulls discover the feed dishes they will fight the ducks and maybe even the geese for the food. attacks from the air are hard for landbound birds to fight off. I hope this is some help.

What about racoons? My suggestion would be to put doors on the dog houses and close them in at night. If they are only going to be in at night, they do not need a lot of room, the dog houses would have to be ventilated in some way , so you could make a screen like door with hardware cloth and a wood frame. I totally understand not wanting to build a huge run and having your backyard look like a barnyard. I am not building permenent runs because I want the ducks to be moved around the property in order to advoid wearing out a particular area. I have tons of predators here,and the worst would most likely be my own dogs. I currently use small housing for just the night time hours, with a door that can be locked and let them out in a large area fenced with moveable electric netting during the day time. It's pretty much the country version of what you are wanting to do plus a door. Gosh, hope I didn't sound preachy, really.
smile.png

OH, and they look so good!!! I almost, like was >this< close, to getting geese this year....how do you like them?

Luckily for me there are too many better places for the sea gulls to go other than my neighborhood. However when I lived near the beach I couldn't stand the dirty things, it's amazing what they will eat and what they will do in order to eat it.... I am now considering a small night pen that I can leave them in during the nights, but if I were to build it I would want it to be no bigger than the 3 dog houses with a tiny run for them to come out into until I can open up the gate. My concern is that the ducks and geese might not like being in that small space penned up together, what if I was to only lock the ducks in for the night? I'm pretty positive that the geese will be ok.

I don't think you would have to worry about crowding if they are really only sleeping in there. I could be wrong, but I have noticed there isn't a lot happening once the sun goes down, so the time spent awake and in a small space is minimal. I think they'll be happy to be let out, but not beating each other up over the stress of it all. Especially if there is a small yard. If anything you could do it while the geese are still young, and if you can tell the space issue is stressing them as they get older, then let them stay out.

Quote:
I'm thinking that I might be able to assemble a nice enclosure for them in a corner of the yard, and I might even have enough materials on hand to do it if I work smart! I am a bit concerned that predators might start traveling out of their way to find my little buddies, so I think tomorrow I will play architect and get a layout put together. BTW thanks for the quick response, and as for the geese they are AWESOME. For now they seem to be smarter more curious duckling's that are growing WAY faster, they are getting used to me day by day and the ducklings stick next to them like glue. Today while they were out and I was watering the yard one of my chickens approached their feeder and the goslings promptly started pecking at her head, she of course turned around and showed them who the real boss was. The chickens spent the rest of the day in the run while the new additions ate grass outside of it all day. Needless to say the chickens were not happy at all and made quite a bit of noise. Tomorrow the ducks and geese will be in the courtyard so the chickens can come out. I think next year should be your year for Geese....
wink.png

Quote:
I'm thinking that I might be able to assemble a nice enclosure for them in a corner of the yard, and I might even have enough materials on hand to do it if I work smart! I am a bit concerned that predators might start traveling out of their way to find my little buddies, so I think tomorrow I will play architect and get a layout put together. BTW thanks for the quick response, and as for the geese they are AWESOME. For now they seem to be smarter more curious duckling's that are growing WAY faster, they are getting used to me day by day and the ducklings stick next to them like glue. Today while they were out and I was watering the yard one of my chickens approached their feeder and the goslings promptly started pecking at her head, she of course turned around and showed them who the real boss was. The chickens spent the rest of the day in the run while the new additions ate grass outside of it all day. Needless to say the chickens were not happy at all and made quite a bit of noise. Tomorrow the ducks and geese will be in the courtyard so the chickens can come out. I think next year should be your year for Geese....
wink.png

They do sound like so much fun! I think when I get them I will just have to change my sig. to "A LOT!" Your enclosure idea sounds good, you'll have to post a pic when you are done. LOL, I feel bad for your poor chicken, no longer being Queen Mother of the SDChef brood must be pretty hard for her.
big_smile.png
Darn upstarts!

Yeah. but eventually she and my other broody hen will hopefully be hatching out their children. at least she will get to play mom for a while I guess.

How fun! We haven't been in this venture long enough to have a broody, but I can't wait! What kind of chickens are they?

I've only had my chickens for a few months, but I have a Cochin mix who spends almost all day on her nest of eggs until I take them from her, than an hour later she finally comes down. I know there are days that she doesn't leave at all so I have made it a point to take them early. I'm almost positive she would hatch out a clutch. My other chicken, a Leghorn mix who might go broody is to big to fly up to the nest boxes so she keeps a nest on the ground and like's to hide new nests in certain spots around the yard. I found the Cochin with 13 eggs a few days ago with a nice large nest built tightly around her, when I went to take the eggs she threw a fit and was hissing and pecking me. I bought them both from a 4H family, all were very well taken care of.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom