Time to go, guys... (Ducks leaving home)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stormdog, May 9, 2009.

1. Stormdog

Stormdog Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have 2 ducks... A Pekin & a Mallard. I've been told that there is a good chance they will fly off this fall... and that, if they do, they may return here next spring. I've also been told that the mallard may fly & return, but the pekin probably won't leave. And I've been told that, since they were raised together & the pekin won't leave, they'll both stay all winter.

Anyone have any experience with the whole leaving & returning scenario?
    Who's likely to go and when and will they be back?
    Thanks!

2. jjamerb

jjamerb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Elkland, MO
    Not positive but i don't think pekings migrate.

Ducks are taught to migrate by parents or by joining passing flocks. If they are raised by you I highly doubt the mallard leaves unless it finds a flock to join.

My neighbor has pekings that stay all year round. Mallards too. He has an air raider that keeps open water in his pond.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Pekins are generally too heavy to achieve true flight. They can attain short flight, but not truly fly away.

if you're worried about it, clip their wings. (if the mallard is a lawfully kept bird, you can clip. if it is wild, you cannot have anything to do with it, including but not limited to: clip wings, keep captive, obtain and keep feathers etc.)

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine have never tried to fly away, it's cute to watch then hop up and down in the wind and flap their wings though. At first I used to panic thinking they were trying to leave, but my Mallard Drake, and Pekin hen, nor my Runners ever tried to leave.

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My pekin couldn't fly if she wanted to. WAY too heavy and only 3 months old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by