Time to go out?

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
My chicks are 6/7 weeks now,pretty much feathered, theres 4 of them and the coop/run is done and ready, the last couple of days i'v been putting them out all day till dark then going and gathering them and bringing them in to there nice warm cage and heat lamp. but i dont want to do this anymore. so my question is, it is now getting down to the 40's at night here. can they handle that if i leave them in there coop (4'x5'), i want them to start getting adjusted to the cold cause within the next month it will be much colder here. or should i run a heat lamp out there? and if i need to, should i only turn it on a couple times a night or should i leave it on from dark till dusk? i know that i will have to use the lamp during the dead of winter for there first winter most likely. but i want them to adjust as easy and soon as they possibly can!!!!

I have 3, 6-7 week olds out in a small wood coop outside. It is probably 3x4... it gets in the 100's in the day, but low 60's/ high 50's at night. They have no heat lamp and are doing fine. Just make sure its not too drafty.

Best of luck :]

they have been sort of pampered with they're heat lamp always on them at night, i turned it off for the first time tonight and they went nuts for awhile, but now they are sleeping, but they are still in the house.!! and when i go out at night to get them(after dark) instead of going into the coop they all hudle in a corner of the run. and if they see me its on and crackin, cirp cirp cirp, they dont stop untill i come in and get them!! i think its gona be a rough adjustment for them. should i just test it one night without heat and if they are to hudled turn on the light?

Back
Top Bottom