Timid flighty hen turns vicious

My1stChickens

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2015
Texas, USA
I originally posted because my big Buff Orphington was being terrorized by the hen is normally the most timid. Buffy was isolating, felt like she'd lost weight. She's 3 and is not laying, so there's a chance of a reproductive disorder but no obvious symptoms. I caged her for a bit, then let her socialize with the matriarch of the tiny flock of 4. They ate together, dust bathed together. Each day Buffy has been more "herself" and doing well. Yesterday she went out with two of the hens ,while the mean hen was caged in the coop.

Tonight, while 3 were happily sharing food, the previously timid hen came in and attacked. Buffy defended herself a bit, rather than cowering like she did when this whole things started 9 days ago. On my other thread there was some speculation that since Buffy was not laying the mean hen sensed something wrong with her-- even though the other 3 year old hen has never laid an egg in her whole life.

What do I do to break this aggressive behavior? the mean hen is fine with the other two, she only attacks Buffy.

Thank you Moodleroni-- that was sort of my thought process, but I appreciate the validation. Just totally keep her in the cage? She's eating and drinking in the cage, so she should be fine. (as mad as I am at her, I still gave her food and water)

LOL, yes please continue to feed her :gig
I'm not an expert but I would keep her separate for a few days, then bring the pen/cage into their run, or near where everyone hangs out, for another few days, then let her out. If she's still bullying after that, I'd repeat for a longer period of time, like a week(s) or so. It all really depends on how much time you want to give it, or how much time you have. I've heard from others on here that doing this knocks the bully down a few pegs in the pecking order so :fl

Back
Top Bottom