Timing euthanasia, family and vet joint descision issue.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WoodlandWoman, Nov 1, 2010.

  1. WoodlandWoman

    WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

    5,719
    42
    283
    May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Our dog is dying from cancer. We are waiting on a confirming lab diagnosis, but it looks like lymphoma/lymphosarcoma. They already did a needle biopsy and looked at a slide. Our vet wants a lab to make the pronouncement on the exact type of cancer it is. It's a big ole tumor in the lymph gland, plus another one is enlarged.

    She is already in really bad shape and getting worse every day for the last six days. It's really bad. If we wanted to spend $3,000 on chemo the best case scenario is that she would still live less than a year. This is not in the early stage, as it came on so suddenly and is progressing so fast. She already has multiple lymph nodes effected, front and back. She has a deep wet cough. Her leg and foot just keep getting more swollen, too.

    I did not want to bring this dog home from the vet on Saturday. My husband and the vet were not ready to let her go. So, I am trying to do my best and have her on prednisone, antibiotics and pain medication. The prednisone is improving her appetite, so at least I can get her meds into her. Unfortunately, the swelling is getting worse, not better and she is having trouble walking on that foot. The antibiotics aren't helping her cough and I think the vet's guess may have been wrong about the cough being due to pneumonia. I think it may be because the cancer has spread to more than her lymph nodes.

    I've upped her pain meds. I can do that, at least. I made sure I knew what her maximum dosage was before I left the clinic. I called the clinic today, to let them know how she is doing and talk about this. The vet wasn't in today, but will call tomorrow.

    I had a long talk with my husband last night, which was pretty tense in a lot of it. He hasn't wanted to talk about it at all and it was very clear to me on Saturday and last night that the prognosis is not something he is ready to accept or believe. Last night he was talking like even without chemo she could live years. He was thinking she might have a fine quality of life again. Where is he getting this from? I sure don't know. Or talking like maybe it might be something they could remove? It's in her lymphatic system. It's already spread in her body. I was just having such a hard time trying to talk to him when he was coming up with all this.

    I really hope we all get on the same page pretty darn soon. Maddie comes first and she is already suffering enough. I don't care what it costs me in my marriage, I will do whatever I have to for her. Thanks for letting me rant a bit on this. I've just been having a really hard time with this. Maybe the next round of talks will go better. One can only hope...
     
  2. muddyhorse

    muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] I'm trying to make the same decision for Jake. this morning a pit bull pup showed up and Jake licked his head and pushed him to me. I know he is close. However in your situation I'm with you , she is ready.
     
  3. Cindiloohoo

    Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

    7,470
    14
    253
    Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I just lost my dog a month ago, so really really hate this thread right now...but I do think she is ready, and the sooner probably is better. My dog suffered for a bit, because we didn't know how badly she was hurt, and I would not wish that on any dog.
     
  4. WoodlandWoman

    WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

    5,719
    42
    283
    May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry you are both dealing with this, too. It's always bad, no matter how it goes.
     
  5. ranchhand

    ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

    13,295
    18
    291
    Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh dear, my heart aches for you all. I've been down that road way too many times. First thing? Many hugs and thoughts of comfort to Maddie and you both. It's hard to decide and even harder to do.

    Try to balance what you feel with what your husband feels and definitely get the vet to commit one way or the other. You may make your decision alone, but it sounds like DH wants the vet to say it.
     
  6. lurky

    lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Such a hard time..... we are soon behind you too. I am glad we both are realistic about making that decision. I feel bad for you being the only one.
    I hope they get on your page soon too. The poor girl doesnt deserve to suffer. Good luck with this [​IMG]
     
  7. TLWR

    TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,837
    187
    224
    Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If she's coughing, it is likely in her lungs already. That prognosis is not good and not very long usually.
    Unless you want to let her go on your own, all you can do is keep her doped up on pain meds until your DH agrees with you it is time.

    I've always been told there are 3 things your dog loves to do. When they no longer can do them or enjoy them, it's their time. My Ryan LOVED food. I knew when I could no longer temp him with anything, that it was his way of saying he was finally ready to go. I managed to get him to share a cookie with me on a Sat afternoon and that was the last he ate and I let him go on Monday.


    Good luck with your decision
     
  8. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    12,521
    85
    341
    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Any possibility of getting a second opinion? Maybe that would help your husband come to terms with the situation.

    Big hug,

    Pat
     
  9. sourland

    sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

    63,715
    9,217
    766
    May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's time! We had to make this choice for Livvie over 3 years ago and it still hurts. She also was ridden with rapid onset cancer, and euthanasia was the only fair thing to do. I was lucky because my wife and I were both on board for this decision as was our vet. Your husband is hurting, but he has to face the reality of your dogs situation and pain. Good luck on this decision.
     
  10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Sounds like your husband is in denial which is a normal part of grieving.

    It sounds like it is time to let your dog go. Having to keep her doped up is not fair or any quality of life.

    Tell your husband that you won't be giving up by having your dog put down but giving her peace and free from pain.

    Hugs to you
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by