Tina and Sam's Intro - Saginaw, MI

tinamarieg3

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
We bought our first chickens in May of 2020 - four straight run chicks which all turned out to be pullets.
We currently have three as we lost one this past fall to a possum. Good thing possums are solitary animals so there were no more to worry about after we took care of that one
They are all buff lace Polish hens. They are very calm and cute chickens and it does not seem like a chore going outdoors to take care of them, except in extremely cold weather.
We converted an old playscape into their "chicken yard". We put RV roofing on the top platform of the playscape to keep the rain and snow out. All sides and the door are enclosed with 1"X2" wire cloth. During the winter, we have three sides of their pen wrapped in heavy duty clear polytarp so as to let the sunshine in to warm them. In the middle of the chicken yard is a small coup, 3'X3'X3' suspended from the ceiling with a ramp leading up to it. Inside, there are two levels. There are three nesting boxes up top with a nesting bar in front of them. The lower portion of the box is an extra open area where we keep extra cardboard boxes to add warmth. All are lined with pine shavings. In the summer, the tarp comes off to give them more of an outdoor feel. I hope to add pictures, soon.
We currently have two main coon cats, one of whom comes out with me to feed the chickens everyday.
I found BYC on the internet as it often comes up when I have a question about taking care of chickens. Since I am now looking for a buff lace polish rooster, I responded to a post from someone who recently got a rooster and a pullet. I am hoping to add the same (one rooter and one pullet) to my little brood.
I look forward to exchanging information, ideas, etc. on this site with other chicken raisers or hobbyists.

Welcome fellow Michiganders:welcome.

wave hello GIF

Back
Top Bottom