Tiny brahma?

I too would guess FTT. Definitely something going on.

How is her appetite? Did she feather out at the same rate as everyone else?
She eats well and is always first in for treats sometimes stealing from other bigger hens and then running away lol. She feathered at same time just didn't grow

Some chickens are just small. I had a small chicken and she is bigger and doing fine not as big as the others but close enough. Doesn't mean she's gonna die.
I'll take that thankyou!

Dwarfism​

While uncommon, dwarfism in chickens does exist. Three types of dwarfism have been identified in chickens:

All three are caused by a mutated or recessive gene. Thyrogenous dwarfism, caused by the (td) gene, results in stunted birds that do not reach sexual maturity.

Autosomal dwarfism, due to the (Adw) gene, yields growth-delayed birds approximately 30 perecnt smaller than their counterparts.

Sex-linked dwarfism, connected to the recessive (dw) gene on the Z sex chromosome, manifests every now and then in purebred flocks and results in miniature, proportionate versions of normal birds. These tiny chickens breed and lay just like large fowl, albeit on a smaller scale.

Since TJ’s egg was perfectly normal in size and shape, and since his body is proportional and not stunted, my conclusion is that his size is due to sex-linked dwarfism and the (dw) gene, especially given that he comes from a long line of purebred Orpingtons.

We have nothing to worry about, health wise. He might be tiny, but he’s as active and voracious as his siblings and definitely here for the long run.
Thankyou for this. Very informative.You tend to like the odd ones a bit more! She is really sweet and likes a cuddle so hoping she gets a good run.

Dwarfism​

While uncommon, dwarfism in chickens does exist. Three types of dwarfism have been identified in chickens:

All three are caused by a mutated or recessive gene. Thyrogenous dwarfism, caused by the (td) gene, results in stunted birds that do not reach sexual maturity.

Autosomal dwarfism, due to the (Adw) gene, yields growth-delayed birds approximately 30 perecnt smaller than their counterparts.

Sex-linked dwarfism, connected to the recessive (dw) gene on the Z sex chromosome, manifests every now and then in purebred flocks and results in miniature, proportionate versions of normal birds. These tiny chickens breed and lay just like large fowl, albeit on a smaller scale.

Since TJ’s egg was perfectly normal in size and shape, and since his body is proportional and not stunted, my conclusion is that his size is due to sex-linked dwarfism and the (dw) gene, especially given that he comes from a long line of purebred Orpingtons.

We have nothing to worry about, health wise. He might be tiny, but he’s as active and voracious as his siblings and definitely here for the long run.
Thankyou for reply very informative. Hoping you are right x

Hi all, I have 4 brahma hens sabout 3 mo ths old, 1 is still very tiny any ideas?
20220914_142543.jpg
20220914_142534.jpg
Every now and then I get one like that, and when I do, I separate them, keep them warm, & if necessary, de-worm, and treat them for coccidiosis.

Last year I had a peachick, this year a peachick & a Welsummer. Last year's peachick is now over a year old and full size, this year's Welsummer is full-sized now, and this year's peachick is starting to look more normal.

I guess all I am trying to say is that they can overcome this.

Every now and then I get one like that, and when I do, I separate them, keep them warm, & if necessary, de-worm, and treat them for coccidiosis.

Last year I had a peachick, this year a peachick & a Welsummer. Last year's peachick is now over a year old and full size, this year's Welsummer is full-sized now, and this year's peachick is starting to look more normal.

I guess all I am trying to say is that they can overcome this.
Thankyou so much. I wasn't sure if I should bring her in or not as I didn't want her to go back to flock at the bottom and end up getting picked on. But better making sure she's properly healthy. I think I'll follow your advice and keep fingers crossed. Thanks

Thankyou so much. I wasn't sure if I should bring her in or not as I didn't want her to go back to flock at the bottom and end up getting picked on. But better making sure she's properly healthy. I think I'll follow your advice and keep fingers crossed. Thanks
Another thing you can do is get a baseline weight on her, then weigh her every few days to make sure she's gaining. As long as mine are warm enough, eating, drinking, & gaining weight, I try not to worry too much and hope they grow out of it.

Back
Top Bottom