Tiny bugs on chicken tractor and waterer

jbrow661

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
I came out to check on my backyard broilers today and noticed a whole bunch of tiny bugs on the watering bucket. It was quite disturbing, so I carefully inspected several chickens (under the wings, etc.) but they do not appear to be on any of my chickens yet. Any idea what these are? And more importantly, how do I get rid of these.

Thanks much!
JB

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 1.52.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 1.52.44 PM.png

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Where are you located? Are there any on the ground or coop outside? They're too scattered for my first thought of what they might be. Do they appear blue when clumped together?

How clean is the coop? (I know with broilers it's hard to keep the coop clean.) Clean the coop, and if possible, keep them in a different coop for a couple of days. Spray the floor, walls, and bedding with a poultry spray. (If your poultry spray can go on the birds, do spray them as well.) Wash the waterer and feeder.

What type of bedding are you using? They could of came from the bedding. You might want to try something different for bedding. ;)

:welcome:welcome:welcome

Where are you located? Are there any on the ground or coop outside? They're too scattered for my first thought of what they might be. Do they appear blue when clumped together?

How clean is the coop? (I know with broilers it's hard to keep the coop clean.) Clean the coop, and if possible, keep them in a different coop for a couple of days. Spray the floor, walls, and bedding with a poultry spray. (If your poultry spray can go on the birds, do spray them as well.) Wash the waterer and feeder.

What type of bedding are you using? They could of came from the bedding. You might want to try something different for bedding. ;)
I am located in South Carolina. It's actually an open-bottomed Joel Salatin chicken tractor (so no bedding). They do not appear blue when clumped together, though one interesting behavior I have noted is that some have gotten into the water and form little flotillas. Thrips is one possible candidate.

Overall, it's fairly clean. They move every day, and I have given them a dust bath of sand, ash, and lime. One thought I have regarding cleanliness is that maybe I move it twice a day. Our grass is longish but not full pasture. So when I move it in the morning, they have done some pretty heavy work on the spot. I have sprayed off the waterer and that solved the problem for a day and a half.

I inspected the ground as well but don't see anything visible at first glance. They seem to like bright / white surfaces. It has been raining here lately, so water seems to be a common factor when I see them.

I am located in South Carolina. It's actually an open-bottomed Joel Salatin chicken tractor (so no bedding). They do not appear blue when clumped together, though one interesting behavior I have noted is that some have gotten into the water and form little flotillas. Thrips is one possible candidate.

Overall, it's fairly clean. They move every day, and I have given them a dust bath of sand, ash, and lime. One thought I have regarding cleanliness is that maybe I move it twice a day. Our grass is longish but not full pasture. So when I move it in the morning, they have done some pretty heavy work on the spot. I have sprayed off the waterer and that solved the problem for a day and a half.

I inspected the ground as well but don't see anything visible at first glance. They seem to like bright / white surfaces. It has been raining here lately, so water seems to be a common factor when I see them.
Ok. I looked up Thrips, and it does look like that's what they are.

Back
Top Bottom