Tiny deposits on egg

How much calcium do they need in their diet and what is too much?
There is not a set amount, each hen will require different levels. What to watch out for is forced calcium in their feed. Layer feed includes a high percentage of calcium, usually anywhere from 3-5%. Because it is included in the feed, the hens are not able to choose or be selective on how much calcium they take in. If additional calcium is added on top of the feed, or in their water, treats, etc., that just adds to the amount of forced calcium intake.

A lower calcium feed with free choice Oyster Shell is usually the recommended approach.

Alternatively, as folks have mentioned, if they are not getting proper water, they are not able to process the calcium which can result in these deposits as well.

Curious, is your Easter Egger laying eggs with those calcium pimples or is it more like a sandpaper egg shell?

There is not a set amount, each hen will require different levels. What to watch out for is forced calcium in their feed. Layer feed includes a high percentage of calcium, usually anywhere from 3-5%. Because it is included in the feed, the hens are not able to choose or be selective on how much calcium they take in. If additional calcium is added on top of the feed, or in their water, treats, etc., that just adds to the amount of forced calcium intake.

A lower calcium feed with free choice Oyster Shell is usually the recommended approach.

Alternatively, as folks have mentioned, if they are not getting proper water, they are not able to process the calcium which can result in these deposits as well.

Curious, is your Easter Egger laying eggs with those calcium pimples or is it more like a sandpaper egg shell?
The eggshell is hard like a regular egg should be. Here's some of the eggs she's laid.

Attachments

• 20230412_111606.jpg
    20230412_111606.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 2
Thank you. I'm considering switching anyway because I recently discovered roosters can't have layer feed so I'm going to check my local feed stores and see what they have. 😊
Yep, definitely. Sounds like the perfect time to make the change then👍 Keep us updated, always like to hear the outcomes with tests/experiments like this 🙂

Thank you. I'm considering switching anyway because I recently discovered roosters can't have layer feed so I'm going to check my local feed stores and see what they have. 😊
I was not aware roosters needed a different feed, I’ll need to look into this because We have just gotten a beautiful Sapphire Gem cockerel and i’ll need to add something. 🐥🐣🐔🐓🥚

Back
Top Bottom