Tiny living

In some areas the location does reduce the price , but not by that much ? But again , not being familiar with your location etc maybe the prices do drop down real low if the houses are remote ? I would still have a home inspection done if the price is to cheap ......you get what you pay for is resounding in my mind .....you don't want a fixer upper that becomes a nightmare ..................just saying .Not sure if there is a basement ? something that could be converted into extra living space as well if needed ? For me small housing would stop being small after say 800 square feet , after that it becomes a regular residential residence .Our House is 900 sq feet on the first floor , then about 800 on the second due to the roof design on the second floor ....dormers , etc . All the bedrooms are upstairs , down stairs is living space , family room , kitchen , mud room/laundry room , dining room and living room .It's still to big , me /wife / one son ......and we have converted the dining room into a office , a living room that sits empty except for a couple of days a year ....Christmas ...and one spare bedroom upstairs that has become a storage room ? which we go through far to often to see what we can get rid of ? I still maintain the house is to large .....plus we have a double attached garage , half is storage for "stuff" that I go through regularly as well ........amazing what you hold onto ??

I'm in a lower cost of living state anyway, then this house is remote which makes it REALLY cheap. Most the houses in remoter locations are cheap here, but the trade off is a long commute and less jobs obviously. It needs some work but I think the main reason it is cheap is no one is moving here due to there not being very many jobs nearby (something we would have to make sure we had before buying obviously =) ).

Anyway, we are taking a trip up soon and we will check it out. See how much work it needs and what the land is like etc! The land is one of the most important parts to me, there is no point in it to us if the land is unusable!

I don't consider the house tiny, but to me 1000 sq ft is still pretty small, especially to raise a family in!

Well you seem well prepared so I'm sure you will look at everything before making a decision , I grew up in a bungalow that was 1000 sq feet , but we had a basement so that basically doubled the square footage ......not as roomy as a larger home , but we all managed .......parents and four kids left at that time , we all had our own rooms so ? You'll have to post pictures ......would love to see ....I hope I have not offended .....when ever I see "" !" I sense that I might have

Last edited:
Well you seem well prepared so I'm sure you will look at everything before making a decision , I grew up in a bungalow that was 1000 sq feet , but we had a basement so that basically doubled the square footage ......not as roomy as a larger home , but we all managed .......parents and four kids left at that time , we all had our own rooms so ? You'll have to post pictures ......would love to see ....I hope I have not offended .....when ever I see "" !" I sense that I might have
You didn't =) I know many people who feel like if a house is cheap its not worth anything... I'm weary, but I think it would be great to have a paid off house which translates into a smaller up front purchase price (to pay off the house faster!)! I use exclamation marks in my writing, no offense meant nor taken.

I am so excited to see it. I think we will look at it pretty much first thing tomorrow once we get there. There is no basement with the house but I'm planning on having an office/mancave building something like this: http://thenewdaybringshope.blogspot.com/2015/03/two-story-tiny-house-shell.html or maybe just a smaller one story mancave building for my hubby... but I definately am liking the two story options so we could each have our own floor (and entrance) for when we wanted space, etc!

We're about to be temporary Tiny House-ers. We're building a small cabin at a family members land so that our family of 5 can more easily save to buy our own farm. The kids will have their own sleeping lofts. They spend almost all of their time outside anyway, but there is still going to be plenty of space to play in the winter. I know it isn't going to be very long term (only a couple of years at most), and we may drive ourselves crazy at times, but we're still looking forward to it. We, as a family, spend the majority of our time in the living room and kitchen anyway (not much tv watching, just family time), so I'm hoping it won't be too much of an adjustment. We are hoping that all the time and money we are putting into this will make it durable enough to work as a small guest house of sorts once we finally get a "real" house down the line.

We're about to be temporary Tiny House-ers. We're building a small cabin at a family members land so that our family of 5 can more easily save to buy our own farm. The kids will have their own sleeping lofts. They spend almost all of their time outside anyway, but there is still going to be plenty of space to play in the winter. I know it isn't going to be very long term (only a couple of years at most), and we may drive ourselves crazy at times, but we're still looking forward to it. We, as a family, spend the majority of our time in the living room and kitchen anyway (not much tv watching, just family time), so I'm hoping it won't be too much of an adjustment. We are hoping that all the time and money we are putting into this will make it durable enough to work as a small guest house of sorts once we finally get a "real" house down the line.

Oh I hope you start a thread to document the building process so I can follow it and be insanely jealous! Where in Texas are you located?

RichnSteph

Hey everyone im new here but thought I would shed some light on yalls topic. My husband and I are in the process of tiny home building. Were still in the early stages but i figured I'd share what I know so far. We decided to go with a tiny home that is on a sixteen foot trailer. We will have a loft also so that ads space also. For us a tiny home is a way to have more freedom. Not only can we move at any point but its also going to allow us freedom to build our dream home. We will be purchasing land next year after the tiny home is constructed. After that we can begin construction of our earthship home. Anyone not familiar with Earthship homes should definitely look into that. We plan to build the entire earthship with 90% recycled materials. Most of which is free. We plan to also use a majority of recycled materials for the tiny home also. Our tiny home will follow a sustainable living approach. The tiny house will produce its own food, catch its own water and filter it. We will have a gray water system for toilet that will have a small holding tank but since we will have land we are adding in a linch field to the property that the waist will run into. Incase you are not familiar with a linch field its a good thing to look into. Although sustainable livers should line the linch field so you don't loose any of the waist into underground water. You plant plants above the linch field to treat your sewage. So even in the dessert you can grow beautiful plants outside and treat sewage at the same time. We also will have solar panels for running a refrigerator and lights as well as a few other electronics. We are going to do all this with a budget of ten thousand dollars. At least we hope ;)

Last edited:
@tinyhome432 Good luck with your tiny house build and future dream home.
There are alot of features incorporated into those earth-houses that intrigue me. I love the greenhouse/solarium built into the front of them!
Where are you - I don't need to know specifically but desert southwest, great plains, mountains? What type of climate are you in?
I assume you are talking "leach field", if not, could you better define linch field please, I am not familiar with that term.
Usually, a leach field is connected to a septic tank where the solids can settle out before the liquids enter the leach field. Solids in a leach field will plug it up and slow/stop the water infiltration. The typical cause of septic failure for homeowners is a clogged leach field, usually caused by failure to empty the septic tank regularly and allowing the solids to go into the leach field. Here in Wisconsin, building most everything is regulated and septic systems have to meet specific requirements. I know a lot of people will squeal about the government getting in their business, but these regulations were set-up to protect the environment and prevent contamination of the groundwater. I have some friends in Kansas that don't have a leach field at all, the liquid from the septic tank flows directly to the backyard pond.

Back
Top Bottom