Tiny olive Egger chick not catching up in size

Funsarah

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
Southern CA
Tiny chick not catching up in size... these guys were hatched around first of July, the other chickens are now way bigger but all the same age? Its alert, running around acting just like the others, eating, drinking. It doesn’t seem to be being picked on although it’s feathers are not in good shape. But I haven’t seen any other chickens picking on it. In the picture is a comparison with it compared to the cream leg bar of the same age.

Attachments

• 376B5499-A5D3-47B5-B78E-46E55C897064.jpeg
    376B5499-A5D3-47B5-B78E-46E55C897064.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 18
I’ve had chickens of the same breed born the same day wherein one was obviously smaller from the day it hatched. He grew to be the same size as the others, but it took several months and some maturing for him to achieve that.
If she/he isn’t sickly and is still eating and drinking well, I wouldn’t worry.

Tiny chick not catching up in size... these guys were hatched around first of July, the other chickens are now way bigger but all the same age? Its alert, running around acting just like the others, eating, drinking. It doesn’t seem to be being picked on although it’s feathers are not in good shape. But I haven’t seen any other chickens picking on it. In the picture is a comparison with it compared to the cream leg bar of the same age.
I'm wondering if it might be a bantam or possibly a chick hatched from a pullet egg instead of a hen?

I’ve had chickens of the same breed born the same day wherein one was obviously smaller from the day it hatched. He grew to be the same size as the others, but it took several months and some maturing for him to achieve that.
If she/he isn’t sickly and is still eating and drinking well, I wouldn’t worry.
Ok thanks, good to know!

Back
Top Bottom