Tip for butchering????

antlers

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
East Cent Minnesota
My dads hands have gotten arthritis and he can not handle a axe well anymore. This fall when we butchered a few roo's he came up with the idea of hanging the birds by poth legs from the tractor bucket (we dont have cones)and then he used a long handled pruning loper (anvil style) to do the deed. Fast, accurate and no misses. A very clean shear.

Just something to use or not as you see fit.

We have hung our birds upside down also, with no cone, and just slit their throats. We held them until they were done flapping. Personally I prefer this way to the axe, but that's just me
smile.png

We made a cone out of a bleach bottle and it was great during the thrashing and we cut their throats. We have done the hatch but the meat has a lot less blood in it letting it bleed out.

jackie

Hello,

I have a treated 2x6 board with 2 large nails about an inch apart at one end. I put the neck in between the nails and pull on the feet. this makes the bird still and cannot move. I have a 22 revolver and plant one in the back of the head, holster my weapon and immediately grab the body of the bird just above the wings and hold the bird still until the convulsing stops. Then I hang the birds and cut the throat and let it bleed out for 10-20 minutes. Very little splatter happens and the meat does not get bruised. It is also an immediate death for the bird.

Dirt

Last edited:
We just take some rope tie them up by there feet and hang them under a tree. Slit the throat but dont cut off the head. Let them bleed out as much as possible. Sounds sick but you kinda want them alive while there bleeding out so the heart will pump all the blood out. They will flap around but I think that gets the blood flowin faster. I also let my birds rest in the fridge at least over night and that seems to relax the muscles and makes it alot more tender. Thats after there all cleaned up. To each his own though. Hope this helps.

Chef Mike

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom