Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Texas
Looking for advice on what to do here.

Here's her beak:
broken2.png
broken1.png

break3.png

Her full face so you can see how far back it goes.

Should I leave this bit on or remove it (or let it fall of on its own)? There's a fleshy bit below it, no blood. I didn't see it happen but I'm pretty positive its fresh, I didn't notice it this morning when I went to feed/water them.

I don't know, and if I didn't ask I would just leave it alone.

Thank you.

I just cleaned it off to get a better look. With most of the dirt gone it lays flat, less noticeable that in the pictures above. I tried giving her some food and she ate like normal.

I guess I'm just worried something might get under there and get infected.

I would be worried too...I understand... but I don't think antibiotic ointment would stay on there long and maybe there's a slight chance of it growing back together if it's left the way it is. I hope she heals up good. Hopefully someone else replies too!

I would be worried too...I understand... but I don't think antibiotic ointment would stay on there long and maybe there's a slight chance of it growing back together if it's left the way it is. I hope she heals up good. Hopefully someone else replies too!

Yes, I hope so. I think leaving it alone probably is best for now.

Here's another pic I got after it was cleaned off:
break4.png

Its clearly broken, but also seems to still have a bit that's firmly attached on the side.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and call the poultry vet on Monday. I'm too anxious for this, I've been worried stick all day. I wish I knew more or had more experience so this didn't have to be so stressful :(

Update, sort of. It seems like the beak is already growing in underneath. Its the exact size as the lower part of the beak, so that's good I think. She's eating and drinking normally.

Its almost like the top layer just peeled off.

I'm still going to call the poultry vet on Monday, but I wonder if this could because of some sort of deficiency. I've seen a few other posts mention that. Their coop/run is covered and in heavy shade, and while I do let them out for about 3 hours each day to forage, could it be they are lacking vit D, calcium or something else?

broken6.jpg

broken7.jpg

Well, the tip fell off. Now its just a fleshy yellow tip. She doesn't seem bothered by it, eating drinking normally still, but I'm suspicious of why it happened. I'm just not savvy enough to know if there's something I'm missing, so poultry vet is still on the agenda for Monday.

Sometimes the tip of the beak gets caught in the hardware cloth or in the metal feeder. I would not worry too much as she seems not bothered or limited.

Back
Top Bottom