Tip of Chickens Beak Chipping Off (is there anything I can do for her?)

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
I noticed today that the tip of my pullet’s beak is breaking off. No blood, just a large crack at the tip of the upper beak. Is there anything I need to do to help her?
About a month or more ago, I used a dremel to essentially file her beak down neatly. I don’t believe I ground it too short. But could this have caused the issue? I did this to my two other pullets and their beaks seem to be ok.
Also, she has a second show coming up late March. Will the tip of her beak be grown out by then, if the whole tip actually chips off? Thanks for the advice.
-Amelise 8F099307-3891-4493-A3A6-9B1CA8B6035F.jpeg 3DBB4793-247E-495A-BB2A-0D8A032825CB.jpeg 763A3A7E-046C-44D7-AB22-E68F8B8422C5.jpeg

Attachments

• D5D0D2E6-0D5B-4F40-A739-5CE402CDC291.jpeg
    D5D0D2E6-0D5B-4F40-A739-5CE402CDC291.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 64027807-EC23-46ED-8B2A-C3A6C7CCA10E.jpeg
    64027807-EC23-46ED-8B2A-C3A6C7CCA10E.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 5
The tip will come off eventually but it should be fine. Just make sure she eats well; depending on how the tip comes away it may leave her beak a bit sore at first. I doubt prior filing would be the cause. Usually beak breaks in birds (not just chickens) are related to a beak that's a little long or that has existing cracks/irregularities from chewing/picking behaviors rather than one that has been neatly trimmed/filed.

One of my cockerels had a similar beak tip break recently. His beak tip was sensitive for a couple days and that made him a slow eater for those days, but after that he was fine. I did feed him separately until I saw him eating normally to make sure he wouldn't get bulled away from food due to eating slowly, but that probably wasn't necessary. His beak was back to normal in a few weeks, although the nature of the break left him with a vampire teeth phase - I probably should have filed those nasty little points just a bit since he inadvertently stabbed me with them every time he pecked to get attention.

The tip will come off eventually but it should be fine. Just make sure she eats well; depending on how the tip comes away it may leave her beak a bit sore at first. I doubt prior filing would be the cause. Usually beak breaks in birds (not just chickens) are related to a beak that's a little long or that has existing cracks/irregularities from chewing/picking behaviors rather than one that has been neatly trimmed/filed.

One of my cockerels had a similar beak tip break recently. His beak tip was sensitive for a couple days and that made him a slow eater for those days, but after that he was fine. I did feed him separately until I saw him eating normally to make sure he wouldn't get bulled away from food due to eating slowly, but that probably wasn't necessary. His beak was back to normal in a few weeks, although the nature of the break left him with a vampire teeth phase - I probably should have filed those nasty little points just a bit since he inadvertently stabbed me with them every time he pecked to get attention.
Okay! I’ll keep an eye on her and make sure she has extra access to food.I’ll have to watch out for those vampire teeth! Lol

Back
Top Bottom