tip: use a stethoscope to check for life at the end of hatch time

BigOJoe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
this may have been discussed before, but being a new egg to this site thought i'd throw it out there, may be new to somebody.

every wonder if there is a live chick in there when candling no longer works? i use my wife's stethoscope. you can toggle the part that the dr puts to your chest, to where you can hear from the cone shaped side. I lay the flat part of the stethoscope side down on the table and place an egg in the cone shaped end and take my hands off. you can hear some sloshing sounds as the chick moves within the shell, and you can hear them pecking and peeping. pretty cool.

helps reassure me when it's down to the wire and i'm needing confirmation of life.
smile.png

i listen to them as i'm taking them out of the turning and removing the turner from the bator and going to lock down. can't hear stuff in all of them, but there is always an early bird.

I just went through my stethescope collection (I'm an EMT) and I found one with a little cone end. I put eggs in lockdown every Wednesday, so I'll see how it works. I tried to listen to an egg that's due next weekend, but I didn't hear anything. Either too early, or the sound of the incubator fan was drowning it out.

I've tried listening with my stethoscope (I'm an RN) and I didnt hear anything. My husband has a good master cardiology stethoscope didnt hear it with that one either.

Last edited:
I heard them moving. A couple I heard chirp. EXCELLENT as I have goofed and opened live egg before. Household stethoscopr

Used stethoscope, especially for brown eggs

I penciled
M. Moving
Mr. Rapid move
Mvr moved very rapidly

Attachments

• 0A308B28-538A-4580-BA87-0DA16A2332F4.jpeg
    0A308B28-538A-4580-BA87-0DA16A2332F4.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom