1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tipping the waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NuthatchKnollChickens, Feb 19, 2009.

1. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Does anyone else have a problem with their chickens tipping over their waterer? I have a regular one gallon plastic waterer in their coop and if I don't get their pop hole before they come down off their roosts in the morning I am pretty much guarateed to find the waterer tipped over on the floor. I have pine shavings over a vinyl floor so it's pretty easy to clean up, but I'd love to hear if anyone has found a way to prevent this.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I keep my waterer & feeder in the run. Since this is a constant problem for you, you may want to try doing the same. My girls roost around 5:30p (it was 4:30 a month ago) and are let out between 6:30-7. It's OK for them to not have food & water during that time.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Put a rock or a cinder block in it.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Could you suspend the waterer? rig up a harness and and suspend it from the rafters--and secure it at the bottom too, so it will just wiggle and not sway.

5. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I switched to the 5 gallon galvanized type with a wider base and haven't had a spill yet, it's too heavy when filled.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    get smaller chickens!

7. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    Thanks for the ideas, everyone! (But I'm not getting smaller chickens.) [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Two things that may help: get a bigger waterer (being heavier, and not emptying as fast, it will still have good weight in the morning and not be as apt to get bumped over), and put it in the least-trafficked part of the coop.

I've had to play around with water and feed locations before finding the least-trafficked parts, btw -- I know that people with more chicken experience would just be able to look at it and *know* where the 'fast lanes' are and where the chickens will all want to hop down from their roost, but for some of us it takes a bit of trial and error [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I agree with the bigger waterer idea.

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Smaller Chickens I say!!! You bunch of bantam haters!! [​IMG]

Smaller chickens = more chickens [​IMG]