Tips and Tricks for those mailed in chicks

Excellent point! First time I saw "the position", I freaked out. Check out the black chick at the beginning of this video and you'll understand what we're talking about.  

Uhhh... Not sure if being trolled or missing something. I'll let you know if life boats and cruise ship evacuation ever comes into play with chicken raising...

Yes, I learned the hard way to have everything on hand BEFORE anything happens.  

My pets are like my kids, and only get sick from Friday night to Sunday, when the local feed store is closed and I can't get essential supplies.  

We now keep good chicken basics like vet-wrap bandages, Pedialite, Neosporin (no pain relief), blu-kote, a dewormer, baby aspirin, mineral oil, vet spray (antibiotic spray)...stuff that one would need on a moments notice.  We haven't had to use much, but it's been so handy to have it ready.  

Ah! Perfect! I was wondering what else might be handy to have with an emergency kit for chickens! Thank you!
As for dust bathing, I've seen pictures with their wings all akimbo. It cracks me up! Can't wait to give my chickies some dirt to roll in! Love the photo! :)

Uhhh... Not sure if being trolled or missing something. I'll let you know if life boats and cruise ship evacuation ever comes into play with chicken raising...

It did it to me too. I just closed that one out and underneath it was the option for "chicks taking a dust bath". I thought I had just accidentally pressed something on this stupid touch screen. Guess it wasn't just my clumsy fingers.

Edited to fix auto correct and how it makes me seem like an illiterate fool.

Last edited:
It did it to me too. I just closed that one out and underneath it was the option for "chicks taking a dust bath". I thought I had just accidentally pressed something on this stupid touch screen. Guess it wasn't just my clumsy fingers.

Edited to fix auto correct and how it makes me seem like an illiterate fool.

Ah ha! I see the video you mean! That's probably what they meant to post. Or perhaps they are hinting we should go on a cruise with our chickens? Woohoo! Summer vacation!

Must be a youtube glitch as I went back in and re-copied the URL and it's the same one. Very odd! Yes, it seems to be taking you to a different video on my youtube account.

Actually, a portion of that lifeboat video was used by Diane Sawyer and ABC News for a special on Cruise Boat safety [after the Italian incident] so, hey, it's not a bad video to watch!!

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Mtn Laurel! The actual video is cute! "This is not really underdone chicken pot pie". :D. Love it! And they were loving that casserole dish of crumbly dirt! Thanks for the video. Both!

That's cool Diane Sawyer used that footage. Goes to show how amazing it is to have the technology to take great video anywhere now.

Last edited:
Excellent point! First time I saw "the position", I freaked out. Check out the black chick at the beginning of this video and you'll understand what we're talking about.

I saw the chickie video by clicking the link

Hi and welcome to BYC Shido Burrito!! You are going to LOVE chickies!

A quick run down of what we do here....

If we hatch our own, we offer Grow Gel immediately, meaning as soon as we have a fluffed up chick I quickly put in the small bottle caps of prepared grow gel! See images below, we add marbles in the grow gel so no one gets stuck or drown in them. They start eating it naturally (grow gel is available as an option with most places your order chicks or just purchase it and its cheap!) http://www.jefferspet.com/grogel-plus-b/camid/LIV/cp/0040636/

When I put any chicks that we hatched or shipped into the brooder they get a larger lid of grow gel for only a day or two PLUS the medicated chick starter sprinkled on the paper towel bottoms along with the chick feeder full, and a combo of probotics/Vits in the waterer with marbles, the marbles not only prevent drowning the colors draw them to the water as well. I get the provits online http://www.jefferspet.com/vets-plus-poultry-provita/camid/liv/cp/0040957/ cheap and it goes a LONG LONG way. I have found that our large Blue Partridge Brahma not only feather faster but also grow faster and for the price to insure health, why not?

ACV in the water is a GREAT idea and keeps the stink away in the heat of a brooder box! (keep the waterer away from the heat lamp)

Here is some info I just added to the Hatching 101 article your chicks may be "stunted" from lack of FEED since they will be shipped as suggested in the quote below, so I do suggest some sort of extras in the water for them! ......

GROW GEL and or Electrolytes FEED Newly hatched chicks!

WHY I always add little soda caps full of grow gel when my first chick is fluffed in the incubator. Is it necessary? NOPE! Does it do anything? wellllllllll........
Quote: PAGE 6 http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/ceva/OnlineBulletins/ob_2007/Article-No12-May07.pdf

Back
Top Bottom