Tips for a newbie on raising silkies :)

PaigeHgibson

Songster
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
VIRGINIA
jumpy.gif
I am so excited just placed an order with a friend for 5 white bearded silkie chicks that i plan to show in a junior class at the end of the year , right now i raise Trumpeter pigeons and show rollers which i show .
so the chicken showing is just another challenge i look forward to

i also get 10 free cross breed brown layer pullets with my feed ordwer on chick day April 23rd the day i pick up my silkies
love.gif

If anyone has any tips for newbie on raising silkies for show let me know please

Thank you
Paige

Last edited:
is dumor feed sold at most feed stores ?
Then stuff i feed my pigeons is very high in protein
can you bathe a silkie for a show ?

You have to bathe a silkie before a show or theyll be dirty. Their white feathers collect alot. I have one black and on blue silkie at home, although I dont show them I did check it out a while back.I just got a White silkie chick about a week ago, The chick is very cute and is doing great.

Last edited:
I always bathe my trumpeter pigeons before a show and blow dry them but i am not sure how silkie feathers would handle a blow dryer even on low setting

Yes, you can bathe a silkie, just like any other chicken. I use Dawn dish detergent or Baby shampoo and then I blow dry them well and keep them in the house until completely dry or under a brooder lamp for warmth. Silkies are a lot of fuzz and tiny birds under there, so I worry about them chilling quickly. If they are white, keep them clean as possible, (wire is great) as they yellow and it is impossible to get out. There are products you can use on cows and horses to whiten them, a blueing shampoo (it is blue or purple) that will help and stuff like cowboy magic, but it is best to just keep the white feathers white. My fav is the white and maybe the splash, I hope you win blue!

Hi,

Are silky's fussy eaters? Do they require special foods, supplements etc..? I would like to purchase one as a house pet. Are they OK in hot/muggy weather?

Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
Chrissy

Hi,

Are silky's fussy eaters? Do they require special foods, supplements etc..? I would like to purchase one as a house pet. Are they OK in hot/muggy weather?

Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
Chrissy

Silkies will eat regular poultry feed fine. One thing you might note about chickens though is that they produce a huge amount of dust. There are folks who have chickens inside with them, but I for one don't like all the dust in the house.

Back
Top Bottom