Tips for beating the heat?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Jun 7, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We may live in MN but it does get hot in the summer! It's 95+ out today, our coop is staying nice and cool. What are some tips for the heat? The girls were panting some yesterday out in the run. I turned on a fan outside and it seemed to help. I also put some ice in their water. Any advice?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Protection from sun, airflow, cool ground to stand on and water.

First reduces heat uptake. Second helps bird dump heat from under wings. Third helps dump heat through feet (very important mechanism). Water for evaporative cooling which picks up when birds pant. Birds seldom drink enough water for ice to make a significant difference in body temperature.

3. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i put freezy packs in the run. they don't stand near them but it does cool the area down a little. i also offer frozen treats like watermelon. they love it. i also found that hosing the run down will cool it off a few degrees but the birds hate it [​IMG]

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have a fan in the coop, a frozen jug in the water, a tarp over the run and lots of shade, plus I run the hose and give them a nice muddy area every day but their favorite thing is the wading pool with a couple inches of water in it, set of course in the shade.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're doing fine. Keep water available and shade convienent

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by