Tips for bullying

FrannyLW

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Central NJ
My new 8 month old Brahma hen is being bullied at night by the head master ( almost 3 years old EE hen) the two older hens were separated in another cage in the run with everyone ( I also have 2 Ayam Cemani about 7 months old) but I noticed the two older hens would not sleep in the attached hutch they would sleep outside in the cage, it was starting to get in the teens at night so after several days I let them free. I wanted to keep them in for at least a week or two. Now the older hens are pecking at the Brahma but not too bad that I get concerned, they used to be more nasty before I caged them. But now at night I see the older hens make sure the Ayam Cemanis sleep near the egg nests ( there are some roosts in there) and won’t allow the Brahma to sleep on the roost with them. I put her in there with them and the one starts pecking her when I start to leave. When I stay there she almost behaves. Will those chicken “ peepers” work?

Definitely won't hurt to try it. Though they aren't a magic fix if there's issues with space or resources, as once they come off, they may start up again with their behavioral issues.

everyone seems to be ok. My coop is big enough. I have a smaller coop for 6 that was rebuilt to be a bigger coop which is located in a large 10 X 10 run. Everyone sleeps together now, occasional pecking, but all in all ok. Now the new one was laying eggs when I got her but she has stopped for 2 weeks now. Is this normal due to the move?

Back
Top Bottom