Tips for food security?

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
So Bean has become highly food aggressive, and I'm certain it's because she has anxiety over food due to Wobbles or something else always frightening her away from the food bowls. She also bites me whenever I have to remove something from her mouth because she thinks I'm stealing food away from her. Same thing when I hand her a treat, if I give her lettuce or something she has to tear bits off of, she'll bite me because she believes I'm simply keeping the food from her.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to fix it. I've already done the tried and true dog training methods for food insecurities, but it hasn't worked because, well, she's not a dog. Separating them isn't working because she'll still convinced I'm lording over her food, but I can't leave her alone because she'll squawk and chase after me!

Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm betting you out there with smaller flocks may see this more often since there isn't as much of a "herd mentality" or organized pecking order. I just want Bean to be happy and anxiety-free at mealtime.

hugs.gif

Wish I had some insight for you, Amykins. I will ponder this as I watch my flocks. I know our Buff trio is a smaller flock - but no food aggression there. Hazel is clearly a chow hound, but I have never seen her get ugly with Carmella or Bean.

What size food bowl do you have? For a short time, maybe a way oversized bowl might make a difference.

hugs.gif

Wish I had some insight for you, Amykins. I will ponder this as I watch my flocks. I know our Buff trio is a smaller flock - but no food aggression there. Hazel is clearly a chow hound, but I have never seen her get ugly with Carmella or Bean.

What size food bowl do you have? For a short time, maybe a way oversized bowl might make a difference.

It doesn't seem to be that, I've handed her food in my open palm and she still will go ballistic, even going so far as to bite my hands and ignore the food itself! The only thing she'll accept is peas. I guess peas are the ultimate mediator.

Back
Top Bottom