Tips for getting through first cull.

I completely empathize with this issue, out of the 4 "hens" I got this summer, 2 of them were roos, and I grew to love them so much. I would suggest against muting your feelings, because they are trying to tell you something. Killing an innocent being who wants to live is cruel, and our innate compassion is trying to let us know that it is wrong. It's not good for us to "condition" ourselves to violence, especially when we can easily eat something else.

If you can't keep him, I would look into rooster sanctuaries or adoption programs in your area. I was able to find a farm that took them both for $50 each, which was a great deal to me because I know they get to live a good life. Now I only adopt pullets or older hens that need a home to avoid the growing unwanted rooster problem.

Good luck!

I don't know if I'm doing this right. I'd like to reply to your strong words in regards to those who eat meat, i.e., once living animals. Sometimes, it's an unquestioned tradition. I believe it's just that "they" don't know meat as living beings who are intelligent, affectionate (as in, having the capability to form affectionate, caring relationships), and "full of life". And, in many ways animals are kinder and safer than humans are. If you've never known an animal on their terms, you won't know who they are. And, words (and experience )can gently lead to new ideas or destroy the path. We all grow at our own pace. Sometimes, for me, it takes awhile to understand. I find kinder words more easily assimilated. Best we can do is be resectful and gently true. We are all learning. Best regards.
'WE' agree to a certain extent. as one who has killed many.. A wise man once said of me, "If he liked killing. No one could stop him.".. I respect all life.. Plants scream at 65 decibel any time they are damaged or i.e, picked.. You just can't hear it, out of your range.. What are you to do? I didn't make this place. I just follow orders.. and hungry. Good Luck Vegan.. SCREAMING!

And on the day of, take deep breaths, steady your hands, say thank you and get it done quickly so it's not painful or wasteful...Be grateful and do your very best to appreciate the life that gives you life every step of the way.
This is one of the most thoughtful, grounded responses I've ever read. Just wanted to say thank you.

I was just stating facts about broomsticking VS using an axe in the post you quoted.

And sometimes it's just being deeply unhelpful and rude to enter threads about eating animals with an attitude that those people are ignorant and could just go vegan and don't understand and know animals. If you don't like to eat animals, please don't, and keep your deeply personal judgements of other people to yourself. Please don't reach out to me again with this stance.
Here here! I completely agree with this post. People don't preach to vegetarians about how they should be eating meat. So why are they preaching to us that we shoulnt be? I also took offense to the comment, even though they tried to say it politely. The comment does in fact imply that meat eaters are ignorant, hence the behaviour of eating meat. Im not ignorant thank you very much. I view animals much the same you do. But I appreciate them for the food they give to me and my family. But I still make that choice. Humans are not by nature vegetarians. We have been eating meat for thousands of years. You've opted out of that because this day and age you can get AROUND doing it, by relying HEAVILY on industry to provide for you. Because for most people it's IMPOSSIBLE to grow enough vegetables in your yard...to sustain you for the entire year. So....head on down to the grocery store. But only 100 years ago straight back to basicly the beginning of time....people didn't have that option. Human beings aren't herbavours. They are omnivores....it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not. You can choose to be vegetarian. But that doesn't change the genes of human beings. And the fact that we are omnivores! Don't judge me for being apart of the human species. Judge yourself ...
Here's a link to information about the human species being omnivor.....
"How Humans Evolved To Be Natural Omnivores" https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/12/23/how-humans-evolved-to-be-natural-omnivores/amp/

I used a broomstick ONCE when the roo I needed to kill had chance after chance and kept attacking the girls as well as me. I warned him over and over and this time, he was hurting an older hen and I just needed him gone. It was not a butchering in any stretch of the imagination but a kill. It was kind of easy to do, as my adrenaline was flying high. I do not regret the kill, but decided then and there, it was not the type of death I wanted to experience again. My method is to kind of put them into a trance. I become the whisperer and after catching them and holding them by their feet, upside down, I calm them with soft and encouraging words like "gentle, easy, steady, be calm, just relax, go to the light, all will be fine." I guess this calms me as well as them and I swing them in a counter clockwise circle by my side. They seem to calm down rather quickly and I continue to speak gently to them and I ask God for help in taking their life while placing their heads on a large wood round stump. When I was first taught this method, I was told to have 2 bendable spikes hammered into the round so I could place the head between the spikes and then push them together so I could draw the head and neck back for a more straight neck area. As I have been butchering since college days, I no longer feel I need to use the nails/Spikes and if the bird is into the trance deep enough, they put up no protest and their eyes are closed and they seem ready to go. If they seem to not be in the trance by circling and speaking to them, do it a bit longer again and they will relax and your job will be easy...or as easy as any killing can be. And yes, I use a short handled and good sharp axe with one single drop. The axe stays in the round and the bird is held by me until it no longer moves and then I hang it to bleed out. As others have said, you concentrate on the task and be at peace, yourself, with your choices. A humane kill is the ultimate gift you can give your charges. Be at peace. It is part of the cycle in farming.....

I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?
I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?
Don’t do it 😁

ometimes, eating meat is an unquestioned tradition. I believe it's just that "meat eaters" don't know the "meat" as an intelligent life who may have been terribly mistreated their whole living life and inhumanely killed.
I don't judge vegans, but I also don't judge meat eaters. I personally do eat meat. I wouldn't say meat eaters are ignorant, especially ones who raise there own meat. Those who have never experienced raising chickens do not truly understand where there food comes from. I think those who raise their own meat are doing just as much for the animals as vegans. Infact maybe even more. Not only are they not giving money to the big factories but they are also giving amazing lives to the meat they raise with only onebad day. People who raise their meat also use humane methods to cull, whether it be broomstick or the cone. I used to be one of those ignorant people who didn't even think what a chickens life was like before it was in the package. I have not become fully one with the experience as I have yet to kill my own meat but I have certainly come a long way just by raising chickens, and I have come to appreciate what a birds like is like before put in the package.

In the future I am sure I will take the plunge into meat birds but that day is not today. I am not ready for that. This rooster was my pet, I'm going to just admit it. I did manage to find him a new home, I took him this morning. He now has his own flock with five hens.

I appreciate you for trying to help the animals on our planet, just as I appreciate those who raise their own meat. Both are helping take money away from big inhumane meat factoies.

suppose the first step would be to stop calling him by his name, and instead something like "The EE roo."
I had decided a long time ago not to call my chickens names. It’s always the red one or pepper, apricot. These are descriptions. Yes it is a hard thing to do. I had my friend who has butchered many animals to com over and help me. The good news is even though the meat is tough on an old layer. The broth is fabulous.

Can you take him somewhere to be processed? I know it would be expensive, but the trauma to your system would be a lot less. So far, I have rehomed about 6 roos over the years that were sent to me by accident ( I only order females). I have a friend who takes them. He loves grilled chicken. He also has chickens, and one of my little roos killed two of his chicks before meeting the Grillmaster - would have been a mean sucker. Anyway, no harm or foul for not wanting to cull. There are many different ways to do that.

I used a broomstick ONCE when the roo I needed to kill had chance after chance and kept attacking the girls as well as me. I warned him over and over and this time, he was hurting an older hen and I just needed him gone. It was not a butchering in any stretch of the imagination but a kill. It was kind of easy to do, as my adrenaline was flying high. I do not regret the kill, but decided then and there, it was not the type of death I wanted to experience again. My method is to kind of put them into a trance. I become the whisperer and after catching them and holding them by their feet, upside down, I calm them with soft and encouraging words like "gentle, easy, steady, be calm, just relax, go to the light, all will be fine." I guess this calms me as well as them and I swing them in a counter clockwise circle by my side. They seem to calm down rather quickly and I continue to speak gently to them and I ask God for help in taking their life while placing their heads on a large wood round stump. When I was first taught this method, I was told to have 2 bendable spikes hammered into the round so I could place the head between the spikes and then push them together so I could draw the head and neck back for a more straight neck area. As I have been butchering since college days, I no longer feel I need to use the nails/Spikes and if the bird is into the trance deep enough, they put up no fuss but close their eyes and lie very still. (Having trouble posting this message, so if you see it twice....sorry) Yes, then I use a very short handled and sharp axe and one chop does the deed. I leave the axe in the stump and hold the bird until movement stops and then I hang for blood drainage before butchering. Before the chop I ask God for strength, peace and guidance for me as well as the bird to move along. It is a calm and comforting time, especially for taking a life which has become a problem or just not needed any longer here by me. It is something not to be taken lightly, in my eyes, and the fact you are trying to adapt to the need of it happening gives me joy to know you care and want peace for all. Be well.

Back
Top Bottom