Tips for getting through first cull.

Pics
My neighbor used to process my birds for me, I'd give her x-number of birds out of the flock of x-number of birds each time she would do this for me. I expected her to take the finest, fattest birds for her labor, as that was only good and right. She often invited me to come "help" (learn), and one day (several days) I took her up on this offer. I am now confident and competent to do this final step on my road to self-sufficient poultry production for my family.
Baby steps towards that end, and only move forward on this process when you're good and ready to. Don't feel bullied to speed through your process of coming to terms with this, nor of ever reaching the ability to process your own meat. For some, it's just not an attainable goal, so don't beat yourself up about it.

suppose the first step would be to stop calling him by his name, and instead something like "The EE roo."
I had decided a long time ago not to call my chickens names. It’s always the red one or pepper, apricot. These are descriptions. Yes it is a hard thing to do. I had my friend who has butchered many animals to com over and help me. The good news is even though the meat is tough on an old layer. The broth is fabulous.
This is true.. Once had a hen.. she was like the Pied Piper. Wherever she went the flock followed like a flock of sheep.. all eventually passed. Big Mama was the last and the one I mourned and can still see her in my minds eye with that look on her face. Always being the responsible one... in deep thought watching over her flock. 40 years ago..

Last edited:
I got some update photos of my boy today!
Lilac.jpg

He is a very good looking rooster.

My first rooster, Duke, was a freebee that someone gave to me rather than putting him in the stew pot. He had many good years as a flock master, and I still have a few of his offspring running around.

It's always nice when things work out for everyone.

I need advice.

The thing I am trying to overcome is, killing an animal that is perfectly healthy, causing no problems, and has the desire to live. I feel selfish for taking that away.

A while ago I bought three 2 1/2 months old "pullets" due to Covid I couldn't see them before bringing them home. Once I got home I opened the box and was 99% sure two of the three were actually roos. I confronted the lady but she insisted they were girls and wouldn't take them back. I got my first chickens at the very beginning of April so I'm still fairly new to chickens, but obsessed enough that I spend all my free time on BYC reading everything possible. She has had them for years. I figured "What do I know" and kept telling myself they were pullets till the saddles and sickle feathers came in. I bonded with the two of them, so giving them away is hard, let alone culling.

With my first batch of chicks I got straight run Ameraucana's (NOT Easter Eggers)
All four Ameraucanas, the single EE I had, and one of the cochin x brahmas were roos. I kept the brahma x cochin and managed to give the rest to breeding homes.

I was left with only two ladies so I needed some more girlies.

The three pullets I bought were supposed to be two lavender orpingtons, and one BR. I managed to rehome the barred last weekend, the other LO roo is still looking for a place. (They are not actually LO, they are blue EEs.) I don't want to give him to someone to be meat. I figure if his fate really is to become dinner, it might as well be for me. I have put too much time, money, and love into these birds, just to give someone a free dinner.

If I were raising cornish X I imagine this would all be easier for me. If I didn't harvest them, they would be miserable and have a hard time walking, not a fate they should have, and wouldn't live very long anyways. I also wouldn't bond with them as their purpose would be food, not eggs and company like layers are.

I just can't get over the fact that he wants to live and is not causing problems by living. I also don't need the meat, so I feel cruel for taking away his life.

Any advice on how to get over this guilt hurdle?

Yes taking an innocent life is cruel. The fact that you recognize this, have compassion and empathy, to me means you already have your answer on what is morally right.

Back
Top Bottom