Tips for newbies. Everyone join in! :)

Irishgirl

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Middle Earth
Hi people!
So, I was thinking, when I started raising poultry I had no clue what I was doing, so I thought it would be nice if we could put together kind of a "This is how you could do it, but this way is easier.

(1) Always wash your hands before handling fertile eggs that you want to hatch. This can get kind of tiresome, but it's well worth the effort.

If anyone has any chicken care tips please share them!

Last edited:
I recently got chicks and they are now 8 weeks old. I love your chicks, they are so cute! I might be getting a silkie soon!!
woot.gif
At tractor supplies they are selling some chicks so when they get a silkie they'll give me a call!

my advice: never give up...give the egg in ? some time and DON'T "help" it hatch...watch another one of God's amazing animal miracles!!! :) happy hatching!

To help keep water clean and prevent coccsidiosis, add 1/8th of a teaspoon of bleach per quart to your chicken's water.

Last edited:
I've never hatched eggs. I'd like to try it when my chicks start to lay eggs. We have an australorp and people say they are broody so I would love to buy some fertilized eggs for her to adopt.

my austrolorps do wonderful..one hen got broody and i left her sit..i decided not to bother her at all and finally on day 21 i moved her to look..OF COURSE i was curious, right?!?! WELL, someone else was laying on her nest while she got up to eat so she was sitting on 18!!!!! Yes, 18, so i broke them cause there was way too many to keep warm..sadly there was 2 nice sized peeps in 2 eggs :,( SAD! So make sure they dont have more then 8-10 eggs at a time so they can all stay warm :) good luck!!

If you have a chick push out before the yolk internalizes, don't panic. Take the chick and carefully set it back in the eggshell, wrap the shell in wet, warm paper towels, and prop it up in the corner of the 'bator 'till the yolk finishes internalizing.

Back
Top Bottom