Tips for the new duck owner!!!!!!!

Niacin (vitamin b3) is water soluble. If they get too much they'll just poop it out. Same with people.

If you take too much of your vitamin b supplement it'll make your urine the colour of Mountain Dew.

I don't want to minimize contact with the ducklings!!  It was something I was told which I thought okay, with my baby reptiles getting used to my hand moving around their cages was a big part of being able to handle them as they grew.  Finding a credible website for my reptiles was a priority when I had them.  Looked for the same in a bunny website when I found myself rescuing an adorable baby rabbit from neglectful owners.  When I discovered I was going to have two ducklings I started searching for a website where I could learn, ask questions no matter how stupid they may sound, and get sound advice when needed.

Thanks for the book titles, got the Storey's Guide on order.

I have started trying to at least touch the ducklings and they don't want anything to do with the idea.  Tonight I put them in an inch of room temp water so I could clean in the cage without them freaking out, and they threw fits.  Neither one wanted to 'swim' yet in their cage with water they've put on the floor they assume the swim position.  They may be a mess but they do make me laugh.  Were so wet I got a beach towel and wrapped them up on my lap and my mystery duckling actually chilled.  The rouen however didn't think much of the idea.  Half the size of the mystery duckling with twice the attitude just a talkin away to me in chirps and peeps.

Still trying to track down just what the mystery duckling is.  Grayish body, orange band around the neck, wings tipped in white, black/pink beak, black legs.  And twice the size of the rouen.  Tried taking pictures but everything comes out with a reddish tint because of the brooder lamp. 

I just wanted to tell you that I have found that your ducks will become what you make of them...its an art a science and a comedy class all together...I am obsessed with my babies (3weeks old) I believe I may be the minority with how I handle the "OMG what do you intend to do to me!" Phase...I snatch em up and cozy em like its the last time I will ever see them...and the phase just melts away...they follow me evrywhere...eat worms like pasta from my fingers and sit on my feet when we are outside. I have runners which are considered skiddish I hear...and I have to say...when Poppy is cozied in my lap on the couch watching tv...skiddish seems like the silliest way to ever describe them! Good luck! Flip off the heat lamp and let's see a pic of those babies!

To heidihas2ducks,

That has been my experience as well with my runners. Skittish? Standoffish? Not so much!

I had the luxury of spending loads of time with them (still do to some extent), and that has resulted in a flock of quite friendly with some downright affectionate ducks.

Blessings on you all!

do they really need a coop of their own? i have 15 adult chickens (2 of which are broody now with the new mama), 3 1-day old hatchlings under a mama, 5 1.5 week old chicks in a brooder. can the ducks live in the coop with the chickens? or can they roost outside? seems alot of old-school fowl owners around here just let them do whatever (sans coop). i have a large pond that would be their's.

i guess my question is, can i just get some young adult or adult ducks and let them loose out by the pond? no coop or box....

do they really need a coop of their own? i have 15 adult chickens (2 of which are broody now with the new mama), 3 1-day old hatchlings under a mama, 5 1.5 week old chicks in a brooder. can the ducks live in the coop with the chickens? or can they roost outside? seems alot of old-school fowl owners around here just let them do whatever (sans coop). i have a large pond that would be their's.

i guess my question is, can i just get some young adult or adult ducks and let them loose out by the pond? no coop or box....

Hi, ronikins,

Sounds like chicken wonderland at your place! I had a Rhode Island Red when I was a kid. She was a great egg layer, and pretty, too!

The short answer to your last question is yes. Here is the big HOWEVER: Ducks are quite vulnerable to predation. So, while I have my own feelings about losing an animal, do you want to invest any time, energy and money into animals that will -poof- disappear overnight? Sometimes an entire flock is wiped out in one night. Sometimes they are picked off one at a time. Domestic ducks don't generally fly. And they aren't particularly fast, or wary, and they don't roost, they are ground-nesters . . . I won't go on.

Maybe ducks don't fit with your flock management style. If you want pond ducks, think about planting a waterfowl food plot near the pond, to attract wild ducks and geese, and perhaps some nesting boxes.

Last edited:
thank you, amiga! that answers my question perfectly. i figured the predators would be the one and only issue. that's why i didn't do an impulse buy with the ducks along with the PBRs. i thought to myself, i really need to research this first. husband told me to just buy and let them out by the pond. seemed to easy to me....

haha! chicken wonderland. they probably think so with all the treats and 20 acres to run around on. i caught them hangin with the deer down by the coop. i just love my silly little flock :)

I applaud your foresight! Ducks have been much more of a joy and a responsibility than I ever realized before having them. Part of it is just because they virtually ooze sweetness and cuteness, so how could I not hover over them? Yup, I am one big SAP.
roll.png

So enjoy, and if you haven't looked around yet, there are some nice food plot plants you can get ahold of to draw in some amazing wild waterfowl!

Back
Top Bottom