Tips on a system for keeping track of freshest/oldest eggs (for eating) wanted!

franklinchickens

Songster
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Franklin, TN
We have a small backyard flock of 7 that produces a good number of eggs for our family - enough to eat and share. This may seem like an odd question but even though we are pretty competent people, we seem to be having trouble keep track of the eggs so we eat the older ones first. It seems like it would be simple (use different containers, etc) but we can't seem to come up with an easy system the whole family can make work.
I'm assuming there's plenty of people on here that have maybe dealt with this successfully and our family would love some tips on doing this - maybe one would work for us!
Thank you!

left to right, front to back. That's my order on EVERYTHING from cereal boxes to spices to the sock drawer. Left to right. front to back. Every egg carton, every day. Shift the eggs to the right, and where there's a break in the line, the oldest goes up front. So you're always using the eggs from the RIGHT of the carton. Never anywhere else in the carton.

Last edited:
OK - that makes sense - shifting each time you use some. I had tried an egg skelter (sits on the counter) but it didn't work well as eggs would crack and it didn't hold enough so we've gone back to using egg cartons in the fridge.
It does make sense to always use from the same side - we had been trying to make one carton newer and one older but then they'd get mixed up or full. I can just use a sharpie to write directions so everyone knows.
We'll give this a try. Thank you!

We do left to right and I sell eggs as well. I have 8 birds.
I keep a 1/2 carton for my odd eggs (ones that don't fit carton well because of shape or size) I pencil date on those. Our family eats those first. Sometimes it stays full and sometimes its empty. If empty then we go the full carton and start left to right. I only move the eggs if I sell 12/18 eggs. Keeps from moving eggs so much and I keep the designated spot for eggs. Bottom left holds two cartons perfectly and the half sits on the shelf above. Works for us.

I really like this website and all the stories and information-
Thanks to all for your time and sharing-
my chicks will arrive Apr 23-25 and my husband has already built
me a wonderful coop! we are getting ready to fence in our already
fenced in garden with sturdier wire-
I'm pretty excited about the whole adventure!
Thanks to all of you for sharing-Mrs. Timi

Back
Top Bottom