Tips on catching a fox in suburban Melbourne (Australia)?

jonaeselaye

Songster
Nov 3, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if any Australians have tips on catching foxes, particularly in Melbourne.

We have used KFC chicken and charcoal chicken, the fox visits but doesn't go into the trap.

FOXOFF1080 seems to be difficult to acquire here because of the regulations. We have a relative who has a farm and even he's not allowed to purchase FOXOFF010. He's also had issues with foxes and hired professional rifflemen to stand on guard overnight but they weren't able to shoot any foxes.

We were offered jaw leg traps but declined since it's our understanding that they are illegal to use in Victoria.

It's been suggested to us that we can create a mock aviary, where we set up a big aviary or chicken enclosure with a trap door but set up it up as if it's a legit pet enclosure. Has anyone has success using this method?

Thank you in advance for any advice :)

It is very hard to trick a red fox into a box trap. If that's the route you want to take I would recommend putting the trap against a fence line or something like that and covering it with brush so it looks like a tunnel to go into instead of a wire cage. I would also place the trap and bury the bottom a couple of inches so the fox won't feel the wire on his feet.

you will probably catch a lot of stray cats and skunks before you catch a fox.

I once saw a video where a person cut a hole in his chicken run and wired the trap to it. the trap was in the run and the hole he cut led to the entrance of the trap. that way when the fox is looking around for a weak spot to get in, the trap will seem like the weakest point. Not sure if it will work but it sounds like a good idea.

Just be careful what you do since it is quite strict about how you can trap/kill/handle foxes and other animals in Australia. If you are caught miss handling them you can face a hefty fine. Luckily unlike most predators foxes aren’t as strict, but you should still be careful.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if any Australians have tips on catching foxes, particularly in Melbourne.

We have used KFC chicken and charcoal chicken, the fox visits but doesn't go into the trap.

FOXOFF1080 seems to be difficult to acquire here because of the regulations. We have a relative who has a farm and even he's not allowed to purchase FOXOFF010. He's also had issues with foxes and hired professional rifflemen to stand on guard overnight but they weren't able to shoot any foxes.

We were offered jaw leg traps but declined since it's our understanding that they are illegal to use in Victoria.

It's been suggested to us that we can create a mock aviary, where we set up a big aviary or chicken enclosure with a trap door but set up it up as if it's a legit pet enclosure. Has anyone has success using this method?

Why dont you just secure your poultry instead of trapping and killing all the local predators?
If theres one fox, there will be more. and if a fox can get your birds, I guarantee you many more species will be able to, as well.
There will always be predators, its out job to protect our birds, not go after wildlife who go after an easy dinner.

Hi everyone!

I mean no offense or anything, just saying that prevention is better than this if possible. I get red foxes in my yard every single night. They come right up to my animal enclosures, and have never gotten them. All it took was wire, really. Simple wire and mesh skirt to prevent digging into the pen. The ducks go into their house at night, rabbit into her hutch, all safe. It didnt cost much to secure them. If you can afford to, I would highly reccomend doing so.

Back
Top Bottom