Tips on introducing a new horse to my other 2 boys!!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Ok, so I am just 2 days away from getting my new Palomino mare. I needs some tips and suggestions on introducing her to my 2 older TB geldings. My mini lives in the back yard,s he is only 5 months old, so she won't be out for a long time.
Here is our set up....we have 2 pastures, front and back. our barn/run in is locatedin the back field behind our house. The front field is big and open.
I was thinking that maybe I would gate my boys out front when she arrives and let her get used to the barn/run in and back feild. That way she can meet the neighbors horses through the fence and my boys at the front fence.
I need some advice!!

Most horses if given enough space and after some squeals, and ear pinning will work out their social order just fine. On rare occasions you can have 2 equally dominant horses vying for top dog position which could result in a scuffle. I think you are on the right track with letting her settle in and get the lay of the area by herself, while letting them get to know eachother with a fence in between. When you do put them together put her in the front pasture first to have a look around, then put ONE of your boys in so they cant double-team her. Let them get acquainted the take him out and up the other one in...just watch and wait. I like to have a lunge whip on hand in case you need to get in between a hostile situation.

I know many a horse person who just throws a new horse out with the herd. Usually the new guy has to live as the outcast for a while until he/she find his/her place (usually without too much incident). But I have also seen a dominant horse try to run the newbie through the fence with hooves flying and teeth barred. Soooo I'd play it safe and go with what you had planned, the gradual introduction idea.

"I was thinking that maybe I would gate my boys out front when she arrives and let her get used to the barn/run in and back feild."
I think that should work.

Have your geldings ever been turned out with mares before? I have a gelding that can not be turned out with mares he tries to breed, he runs them and herds them and generally pisses everyone off. No amount of meeting over the fence matters, once in the pasture his "fool gene" kicks in and things turn ugly.

Any new horse should be Quarentined and not let to touch nose to nose for at least 2 WEEKS! ITs very important in my opinion as viruses and illness and transfer to your other horses.
I would keep her seperate. After 2 weeks or so put them next each other and touchable over or through a STURDY fence. The after a few days turn them out together supervised. I usually scatter hay out so there is plenty to keep them busy and not let them fight over it. GOodluck Pics please!
big_smile.png

Are all the horses minis? Or all large? I wanted to mention there should never ve mixing of minis with large horses. EVER! I can't tell you how many situations the clinics get calls on when people think a big horse is FINE to be around a mini and then the mini gets seriously injured or killed.

Bec, how exciting! I think what Norman says is good, but also follow Florida chick and keep them quarantined for a period of time (like we do the chickens!). How old is the mare? How much older are the TB's?
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
If this is your only option, then the issue of quarantine is moot 'cuz touching noses ain't quarantine. Realistically, not quarantining is fairly unlikely to cause major permanent problems in your horses (it *can* - it is not unheard of to get permanent effects from pneumonia or strangles, for instance - but it is pretty rare). But you can incur some big-time vet bills and hassles along the way. Quarantine is not nearly as big a deal in horses as in chickens, though, or even cats or undervaccinated dogs. It would be helpful if your geldings have gotten a flu/rhino vaccine about 2-3 weeks ago (DO NOT have them done now, though) but chances are you will all survive
smile.png

BTW, if there should happen to be a way to prevent the horses from touching noses over the fence for a day or week, that would be smart -- often the first thing that horses want to do when a new one arrives in an adjacent paddock is touch noses, squeal and then kick or strike, which can cause injuries (from the fence as much as from the other horses). It also does not get things off on the calmest foot.

If one of the pastures is small (like actually more of a small paddock) I'd make sure to put the new horse in *that* one. OTOH if one of them has less-visible fencing, or electric fencing of a type that you are not POSITIVE the new horse is well-accustomed to, then use that for the geldings and put the new horse in the other one.

Have a big ole pile of hay out for the geldings before the new horse arrives -- put it out an hour ahead of time if the mare is being delivered, or before you leave to go pick her up. Full tummies make calmer neighbors
wink.png

To a very large degree, though, if you don't have a fully doublefenced paddock where she *can't* touch noses with anyone, you're just going to have to make sure your fences (and gates!) are as visible and safe as possible, and then turn her loose and grit your teeth
tongue.png
I find that averting my eyes from horses doing moronic things in turnout is always a good move <g> although of course you do want to peek out at frequent intervals to make sure nobody needs a vet. usually it turns out just fine though.

P.s. make sure the mare is not in heat. DO NOT put a mare out with new horses, esp. not geldings, for the first time while she is in heat.

Good luck and congrats on the new horse,

Pat

Thanks for all the great advice!!! I will use it carefully!!
She is not that much younger, my boys are 18 and 20....she is 15, and VERY laid back. My boys too are extremely laid back and only one the rare occasion kick up their heels!!
The neighbors have a few mares and my boys have never been the least bit interested in what she is doing. Both have been out with mares before, so that is not a concern.
Oh and no worries...pics will be on tomorrow night ..Yay!!!!

Back
Top Bottom