Tips to help my chicks come outside to play?

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
My chicks are over 5 weeks old now and I have started letting them outside in their play area connected to their coop for short bits of time. About 7 of the chicks love to come out, scratch in the dirt, eat bugs and run around in all the free space, but the other 13 aren't even a little bit interested and stay inside the coop. I can definitely keep them strictly in the coop till they are a bit older, but I was hoping to open up the coop door so they can come and go whenever they want, at about 6-7 weeks old. What are some good ways to get your chicks more interested in exploring outside? I've tried scattering food and treats, but they don't seem very interested. Should I just leave them to it, and give them their space and time?

My chicks are over 5 weeks old now and I have started letting them outside in their play area connected to their coop for short bits of time. About 7 of the chicks love to come out, scratch in the dirt, eat bugs and run around in all the free space, but the other 13 aren't even a little bit interested and stay inside the coop. I can definitely keep them strictly in the coop till they are a bit older, but I was hoping to open up the coop door so they can come and go whenever they want, at about 6-7 weeks old. What are some good ways to get your chicks more interested in exploring outside? I've tried scattering food and treats, but they don't seem very interested. Should I just leave them to it, and give them their space and time?
Why don't you close the door (lock) so chickens can't come inside? So the chickens would stay outside (chicks)!!! :D 🐓 🐓 :jumpy

Why don't you close the door (lock) so chickens can't come inside? So the chickens would stay outside (chicks)!!! :D 🐓 🐓 :jumpy
Some of the chicks were pretty scared to come out and I didn't want to force them. I tried once just putting some of the scared ones right at the door and the immediately run inside for safety. I know if they couldn't have their coop to run back to it would really freak them out.

Back
Top Bottom