Tips & tricks for free ranging chicks :)

If you ever let them out, and then need to get them in, take a long handle, such as a broom or tree branch. You go with the stick to the farthest side of the yard, so that the coop/run is away from you, with the chickens between you and the coop. Tapping the ground, I call "hut, hut" I move slowly toward the coop, but I stop the moment the hens move toward the coop/run. Even though you bring them feed every day, they are a little leery of you with that stick. They will move toward the safety zone, the coop. You don't want them to run, you want them to drift toward the coop. When they stop moving, again tap the ground, call and move slowly, until they begin to move.

Within a very short time, they should be in the set up. If something tries to duck past you, just tap the ground in front of the bird. If one escapes, let it go, just keep on working on getting the main bunch to drift. Once the main bunch is in, toss some scratch on the ground. They should be excited and chattering, and pecking. The lone ranger will see that, you walk out the gate, again get behind the lone chicken, and ten to one, she will make a beeline for her flock.

This is a case where slow is faster.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom