Tipsy bantam frizzle

givhandy

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Rydal. Georgia
First post...found this site from a chicken friend.
We have a black frizzle banty that is "tipsy". She won't stand up much and when she tries, she kind of tips over to one side. She has been this way for a couple of months...still eats, but doesn't move around a whole lot.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks for your thoughts and all of your great "fowl" ideas out there!
Andy
smile.png

Thank you for your response. I guess more info is better!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black frizzle 2yrs old...don't know exact weight...medium sized banty
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She mostly stays on the ground...when she tries to get up/walk, she tips over.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A couple of months
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Not that I can see.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I give them scratch 2 times a day
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I have put some AD cream on her feet and legs.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd like to treat her myself, if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will try to get a pic...not much to see
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She is in a 4' X 5' covered area with access to outside fenced area about 8' X 10' with georgia red clay floor and a roosting pole?

Well, I'm no chicken doctor, but one thing that stands out is:

What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I give them scratch 2 times a day

Scratch is not a very complete diet for chickens. She may have a vitamin deficiency. You could try giving her vitamins & electrolytes from the feedstore. And consider switching to a layer or flock raiser type chicken food.

Good luck with her, and glad you joined us

Imp​

have you checked over the top and bottom of her feet for and sores or maybe swelling? it could be scaly leg mites if her legs and feet don't look smooth-sometimes hard to tell on feather legged breeds but it can still be noticeable. or if it is bumble foot it could be swollen and the underside of her foot has a round black spot that doesn't wash off?

Quote:
Scratch is not a very complete diet for chickens. She may have a vitamin deficiency. You could try giving her vitamins & electrolytes from the feedstore. And consider switching to a layer or flock raiser type chicken food.

Good luck with her, and glad you joined us

Imp

HI and welcome I agree also they need layer or flock chicken food Scratch is like candy for chickens just for a treat Good luck

Thanks for the responses.
I should say that I feed her a Tucker Brand scratch called "5 Way" due to it having 5 different grains. I also mix in sunflower seeds.
No extra vitamins, though.

I also agree with the other previous posts, scratch is more of a treat than their entire diet. Some kind of layer ration is better and free feed is also a good idea. They may not be getting enough food only being fed twice a day. My girls usually eat the most morning and evening but I have it available all the time. I also have oyster shell available 24/7.

As for your tipsy bird, it does sound more neurological, like her balance is off. Not sure what to do about that though, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom