TNCHICKIE new to BYC

TNchickie

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Tennessee
I am a chicken mama to 11 Backyard Chickens. We had a group of 5 that we raised from chicks, everything was going great and then added 3 babies this past spring and it's been a wild ride since then. Raccoon attacks, more babies, mycoplasm, chicken shots, first molt and now lice. I've been reading BYC for over a year and have learned so much. I finally decided to join and might even post here or there. I feel like I've learned more about chickens in the last year than I thought I could and now I've learned there's lots more to learn.

Last edited:

Have you purchased some poultry dust for your chickens yet? That should help with the lice. A good coop and run cleaning a layer of the poultry dust will help too, you also dust the birds.

we got some dust but it's only 0.25% permerthrin. MOst of the stuff I've read about is higher concentrated. I spent the entire day dipping and bathing chickens and cleaning the coop. Tomorrow when they are completely dry I'm going to dust the birds with DE, wood ash and sand bath. I've dusted the coop with DE and I'm reading up on the dust to see if I want to go with the .25% or buy something more higher concentrated. I've decided it's always an adventure with chickens

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

Back
Top Bottom