To anyone thinking of getting one of those cute little coops….

Aaaaaand....bam.
View attachment 3419832
used ones like in this link although slightly different size:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Heat-and-Air-Deflector-HD7/100575548
I got the biggest one they had because it was also the tallest. Pretty sure mine are the 10-16" version but I only see the 10-14" one online (altough those probably would have worked too, they're just a little shallower).

Edit update: apparently I do actually have the 10-14" ones - oops! That's what the box says. Not sure where I got the 16 from.
One more follow-up to make on this vent cover thing I did: the plastic covers got a solid test last night with a combination of wind, very heavy snow, and quite a bit of freezing rain mixed in. The interior stayed completely dry. Will definitely be keeping this use of air deflectors in my bag of tricks going forward with other coop builds. I'm converting an old shed that has some unprotected ventilation areas running along the top of one wall, so I may be able to use this same trick there instead of having to build something more elaborate/difficult on that wall.

Of course, after that weather event, one side of the little coop is coated with a solid layer of about 1/4in of ice...including latches, hinges, padlocks, and all...so I guess I won't be accessing it from that one side unless I break out the heat gun . But that's a separate issue lol. At least it's snow and ice free on the inside.

Any new chicken tenders this year thinking of buying one of those cute little coops from Tractor Supply - DON’T do it!

We made this mistake and IMO it’s really easy to do. They’re cute and small, advertised for up to 6 chickens. You just don’t realize how big they will grow, they grow for almost a year! But other than that issue, check out what your chickens will be stuck in if you live in a winter climate.

Every day I am so thankful that we did something else for them. I will say this is a nice little grow out coop or isolation unit in the right temps!
I just went to look at a "large coop" someone had listed online. It was big enough for 3 chickens to NEST in, but no room to roost, walk a bit or anything. I can't believe the prices of some of these small boxes either. I luckily, have had chickens on and off so I know what is reality. I'm building an 8'x8' house for my 15 that are coming soon, and may have to expand!

One more follow-up to make on this vent cover thing I did: the plastic covers got a solid test last night with a combination of wind, very heavy snow, and quite a bit of freezing rain mixed in. The interior stayed completely dry. Will definitely be keeping this use of air deflectors in my bag of tricks going forward with other coop builds. I'm converting an old shed that has some unprotected ventilation areas running along the top of one wall, so I may be able to use this same trick there instead of having to build something more elaborate/difficult on that wall.

Of course, after that weather event, one side of the little coop is coated with a solid layer of about 1/4in of ice...including latches, hinges, padlocks, and all...so I guess I won't be accessing it from that one side unless I break out the heat gun . But that's a separate issue lol. At least it's snow and ice free on the inside.
I saw your weather description and hello neighbor.
We trended more wet over here, but enough snow on the roof sliding off almost into the front window that I will be extending the front roof.
I use basement window covers for upper monitor windows (still a bit leaky) and side windows..

Can anyone recommend a nice coop for say 6-8 full grown hens? I am in the planning stages and have a space in mind, but want to be sure the girls are comfortable. I also plan to have a sizable run to protect them from the hawks and eagles. There is shade as well!

Has anyone converted an old metal shed into a coop? i have one at a rental property that I've been considering using, but it does not have a floor at the moment. I'm looking for EASY, but also appropriate.
I was considering this coop, it might work for you:

Our TSC has some parked right out front with the $600 sticker visible from a distance.

Every week when we walk past, I say to my mom just as loudly as I can, "Look at that thing, that's not a coop!", and she says "Maybe for Bantams!" ... in the hope that some other poor unsuspecting shopper might hear us and avoid making that mistake.
I don't know how else to help, it's really sad that so many people get sucked in.

When I think of all the things we didn't know when we got started and how easy it would have been for us to fall for it... thankfully we knew a carpenter at the time who offered to build us something so we had to go hunting for coop guidelines and learned that w

A lady on Facebook market place had a very small one I’d say big enough for two chickens. The lady had ten poor chickens stuffed in there 😭 it breaks my heart that so many people don’t know
I searously wonder why these folks are allowed to claim this as a coop and the audacity to claim it will house chickens comfortably! it’s an undiscovered animal rights violation!!

Back
Top Bottom