To be or not to be...Marek vaccination??

I saw this while on here searching for a humane way to put down a chicken, while watching a sweet rooster die a slow death from Marek's.
Last year I had a small flock of 4 vaccinated hens, and took in a rooster a friend found loose on the street. One of my hens hatched a dozen chicks a month before I realized the rooster probably had marek's. I had him put down when he could no longer walk and tested, and it was positive. All I read says they need to be vaccinated within the first few days, or it's no good, so it seemed too late for the chicks. I gave away most of the chicks (lord knows what they spread), and am down to two roosters, one of which I put down today (with the baking soda/vinegar method) after he couldn't even lift his head but was obviously twitching in pain.
Anyway, the original vaccinated girls are hanging in there, except an easter egger who has gotten to near death twice. She's very sweet, so I had her inside for almost a month while she recovered. I bought some laying hens from a local on craigslist to replace some lost (coyote?), was told they were from McMurrays and vaccinated, and so far, so good. The other rooster (from the chicks hatched) is doing great, so fingers crossed. His mother was pretty healthy, the other's mom is the one that has gotten sick and recovered. I've read that if you have ones that survive exposure, they are good to breed with since they have good resistance.
To sum up a rambling story, if I hatch/buy any more chickens, I would INSIST on vaccinations. I'm surprised it's not even required by law, as the disease is so common and easily spread.

People are very good at denial.
I think twin cities poultry may ship cheaper, like last time I got it , it was $8 for cold shipping it.

Kelly, if your hen hatched chicks from your own flock eggs, there's a good chance they'll be resistant.

Kelly, if your hen hatched chicks from your own flock eggs, there's a good chance they'll be resistant.

I didn't know this. So I just hatched 4 eggs from my flock, and I did vax them already, but perhaps they are resistant? I also still have some chickens left over from before I got so religious about vaxing, and they are still doing fine, and are over 1 year old, some close to 2 years old. I still worry about them. Although, I did vax them as adults at some point. I wonder if they are safe and I can stop worrying.

Back
Top Bottom