To coop or not to coop. That is the question.

My Guinea Coop

8'x12'

They roost on the ceiling joists that are 8' off the ground.

They make hidden nests outside which I search for and replace their eggs with fake eggs. I only collect eggs when the guineas are locked in the coop to prevent them from seeing me take the eggs in an effort to keep them from abandoning the nest.

When I first got my guineas in November they were about 6 months old. I locked them in their coop which is about a 10x16 shed. I didn't let them out until March when the weather started getting nice, all I did was open the door for them. It took them a few days to wander out lol but they're out all day now and they come back in right before sunset and roost. I know there's other ways to train your guineas but this worked for me. I live in Minnesota and the winters are brutal so I didn't think they'd want to be outside anyways.
I added some ventilation to the gables for them so thay have some air flow. I have some 1x6s and 2x6s scattered about 6-7' high for them to roost on at night and that seems to work just fine for them!

This is my first summer with guineas and so far I have two hens laying on eggs, they're pretty well hidden and I have minimal predators in my area thanks to our 5 dogs so I've left the guineas alone. I just keep a note on when they went missing so I know about when they started to lay on their eggs. My plan is to collect the keets once they've hatched and place them in a brooder. From what I've read and what other people have said guineas are horrible mothers!

I think they're super fun and so different! My fiances not a fan of them, mostly because they'll sit outside his shop while he's working and talk up a storm lol.

Back
Top Bottom