to crow or not crow do all rooters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redstarray, Jun 5, 2011.

1. redstarray

redstarray Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    last year online from a hatchryi orederd there brown egg layer special wich was 2o hens so wen 27 arrived i knew some were definatlly roosters well about 6mos of age i knew by the crowing wich ones were roosters and last two months my hens are looking really bad i thouhgt it was mites i treated for it so i thought it had to be feather pecking i expandid the space uped the protien did it all the noted things but now some are bare bottom and the hair on there necks is one i went out there 2day and saw the chicken in motion on top of the poor hen doing the nature dance but the odd thing i susspected there were two more roos but they "DONT CROW" SO IM CONFUSED ARE THESE 2 GUYS OR DO FEMALE HENS DO THAT SORT OF THING TO??? DONT ALL ROOSTERS CROW????

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    LOL I have seen a few of my top of the pecking order hens do that to other hens. Sounds like there is some pecking going on though as well [​IMG] How many chickens do you have in how many sq feet?

Some roos do take longer to start crowing as well. Do you have pictures of your crew?? That would sure help to determine how many roos you have. If you ordered 20 and they packed 27 in the box I'm going to guess that you have 7 roos? I know they will add roos for warmth free of charge to your order if you don't order at least 25.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Most roosters crow. Maybe they figure there is enough crowing going on already. Do they look like roosters? It sounds like you will need to find a way to give the poor hens a break. I have a bachelor rooster coop and they guys were raised together so they continue to get along just fine.

4. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Have you cracked open eggs to see if they're fertile or not? [​IMG]

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    You said you ordered them last year, so this could be their first adult molt. My hens from last April are just now coming out of molt. Look at any bald areas and see if there are small pinfeathers coming back in.

6. redstarray

redstarray Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    i have seen fertile spots in the eggs but i wasent quit sure tho it was so small .i am still kinda new to the byc so im havent figured out how to download the pictures on to this site. i only have 14 left there mostly dark redish altho some have larger combs. i gave away some wen they were chicks and kept 14 they came to me the first week of augest last year as day old chicks and so far the only one who crows is my aracauna who has a pen all to himself we figured out quickly he was a roo and we just recently sectioned of the yard to give them more room to run free out of a pen during the day but there are two who seem to be more aggressive and one was the culprit doing the dance yet they dont crow

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by