To cull or not to cull? - Broody Hen

My neighbor and I are trying to get a hen to brood from our flocks! LOL

I don't know what I would do. Wyandotte's are not my favorite breed and mine never has laid an egg. Although, she acts like she does and goes through the egg laying routine.

I agree find someone looking for a good broody hen. I had one go broody this year but then after the chicks hatched she was done with that. I was looking forward to hatching a few clutches under her but no such luck. I would pay to have a broody hen anyday.

"Just give her some chicks" It's not always feasible, this is backyard chickens is it not? Not acres and acres of land on a farm chickens right?

I have attempted to break her nearly ten times in her two and a half years on this earth. She broods more than she lays. I would happily give her away if someone would take her but I doubt anyone will... I only know three others raising hens and they wouldn't want her. Not only that, almost everytime I try to give away a hen or a roo, people just get all wishy washy and never show up. I've been the queen of humane-ness. Give away roosters I don't need, let everyone free range, I don't eat factory farmed ANYTHING, I'm just at the end of my rope with this one! And for the record, she is a mean broody. The other hens in the flock don't act nearly as mean as that old thing. She's mean when she isn't broody. When I look in the coop at night, as soon as the head lamp hits another hen she just starts biting it and pecking it. That's the nice version of her. The mean version is the broody one.

It sounds like you've given it a good try. If you feel REALLY badly about stewing her, you might try to sell her (not give away--that makes her seem cheap and slutty! LOL) for a couple of days. If you don't get any bites (except from her), I'd stew her moody, broody behind! As someone else said--life is too short to put up with that. Most of us on this site treat our chickens as pets, better than some people treat their "pets!" The only difference is that stewing a degenerate dog or cat just isn't...kosher....
big_smile.png

It was merely a suggestion. She would only need like two chicks to be happy. But obviously not everyone wants to do that but there are people who do and would love to have her. But if she's mean all the time and you don't like her well thats a different situation. Like I said before she's your chicken and you can do whatever you want, you just asked for advise and we responded.

P.S. Not everyone on here has just backyard chickens many people on this site do have lots of property, lots of chickens and farms. Even if you have chickens on a farm technically they're still in your backyard.

Last edited:
Well I for one have back yard chickens and a small yard to boot. M girl went broody all last year also, and when she went broody this last time I was like ok, so let me give her a few eggs and let her do what she is supposed to do. Yep that's what comes natural, you become a mommy. I gave her some eggs, she had 2 chicks and she is amazing with them. And she is a protector and it's the sweetest thing. I have a friend who has been trying to get her girls to go broody for 2 ears. What you have people would kill to have. Do you not have room for even one chick to add to your flock? She is doing what she is supposed to do, the sad part is pele hate when a bird goes broody when they have so many chickens doing it, but it can be awesome when you allow them to raise chicks. My girl is the best mommy, and she is already laying huge eggs again. Yep she has 1 month old chips and at 3 weeks she has them in the nest box when she's
As lol. Then put they go out side. I'm pretty sure you could give her to a nice home in your area if you had put her there in march when chick season starts. Poor girl she only wants to be a mammy, you would be a wit-ch to if someone kept taking your eggs lol

Glad to hear there are others who like a broody - my buff orpingtons are serious, serious brooders. but they are quite agreeable,never peck, just growl. I have one now insisting on brooding outside of the hen house, so every night, I pick her up and carry her in to be locked up. Gives me a good chance to make sure she is keeping her weight! One of these days, I have to get them some fertlized eggs to brood on!

Back
Top Bottom