To Cull or Not to Cull

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahs31, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sarahs31

sarahs31 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Ok, here's the scoop. I ordered 5 Welsummer Pullets and 5 St Run Welsummers. I got 8 cockerals and 2 pullets. Yeah, long story. So now I have too many cockerals in my flock. I have 30-15 wk old chickens in a 12x10 coop and I need to make some decisions.

My first immediate one is I have a roo that's down. He's on the floor, alert but hobbles and drags his wing. I'm thinking he may have a broken wing, it's floppy and there were a LOT of black wings on the floor. Could they be fighting seriously already? Any ideas?

Now the rest of the boys. I'd like to keep two so that I can perhaps hatch some Welsummers. What do I look for in a roo and what would you do with the rest. I can't think that Wellies could be that meaty....Would anyone pay a couple of bucks for them? Ideas?
  2. chicksahoy

chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    as far as getting rid of the other roosters, no one can really ship birds w/out there being shock and trauma. so unless you can find someone in your area who will take them, eat 'em up. what to look for in a breeding rooster:
    1. perkiness
    2. clear eyes and shiny feathers
    3. no split wing, (gap in the wing feathers when they are spread out)or squirrel tail p.s. this is only a partial, to start off with list of what to lookfor as i am, by all standards, a novice
    best of luck,
  3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You'll only need 1 roo with just 2 hens, the usual ratio is 1:10-12. And yeah, with that many young roos together with just 2 still immature pullets, there's going to be fighting for sure!

I'd put the hurt guy in a separate cage, and then separate the other roos from the pullets. Put them 2 or 3 to a cage, if you can. They can fatten up for the next 3-5 weeks and be ready to process. They won't be as meaty as some breeds, but certainly worth the effort to process. Around here folks pay $5-$10 for unwanted roos for meat.

Once you separate your pullets from the cockerels, you can experiment with putting 1 guy at a time back in with them, to see which one you like the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by