To Deworm or not...

Arnolds2638

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
Intown Atlanta, GA
6mo pullets, happy, healthy, laying. Trying to figure out if I should prophylactically deworm. Seems a little controversial. They free range most of the day in the backyard. Haven't noticed any sickly behavior or worms in poop. Sometimes they have solid poo with watery poo around it. Not sure if that is a sign of worms. I have not started any ACV or other remedy.

Getting a fecal float test first is always a good idea. Treating for worms only works if they actually have them, it doesn't 'prevent' them. So unless they have them then there is no need. Some vets will do the test, if not there are mail in options you can use.
https://www.amazon.com/Reptiles-Rab...child=1&keywords=fecal&qid=1617024511&sr=8-17
Take a sample from several fresh droppings from different birds and mix them in the sample to get a good look at the flock as a whole. Generally if one bird has them you will worm them all. If you don't have a parasite problem, then getting a fecal done once or twice a year, to make sure, is pretty doable. Most vets do fecals on cats, dogs, other animals once a year routinely. Parasites are not always visible in droppings. The eggs are microscopic, that is what the fecal looks for. The adults usually live their entire lives inside the bird. Runny droppings can be caused by parasites, but there are other causes also. If it's hot and they are drinking a lot that can also cause runny droppings. Something in the diet could do it also.

Thanks. Sounds very reasonable. I assume that they are fine, as they are acting well, but Im still a relative newby and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Most of their poops are solid. I'll test them periodically. They pretty much choose eat no feed, but eat all grass/plants/bugs in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom