1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

To Freeze or Not to Freeze...Wait, To FREEZE!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by tiffanyh, Jul 17, 2008.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I am trying to compile a list of dishes that are good after being frozen. I am starting back to work next week early from my summer break and we were just give an extra freezer. So with a full time job and two kids, I was hoping to spend some time each weekend preparing dishes in excess so that we can eat one and freeze some for lunches and dinner. I am looking for stuff that freezes well in your experiences.

So far I have:

lasagna
    chili
    calzones
    stuffed peppers

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Meatloaf

Pulled pork - I cook a boston butt in my slow cooker. I pull the meat and season with BBQ sauce or leave plain. Fill the cups of a muffin pan with the pork and freeze. After it is frozen solid pop the pulled pork 'muffins' out and put them in a ziplock freezer bag. 1 muffin cup is a serving and perfect for thawing for 1 sandwish bun.

Cook beef stew but do not put the potatoes in. Take it out of the freezer and thaw and then add potatoes they don't take long to cook. Frozen stew with potoatoes gets mealy ans gross.

Chicken pie can be premade and instead of baking put it in the freezer. Once frozen wrap in plastic wrap and then bag it in a large zip lock bag to protect the pastry.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    speaking of chicken pie does anyone have a really good tried an' true recipe??? I've never made it before and would love to try, but I'm kinda leery of making something that I have no clue about. I'm good with other baking stuff, but this I've never tried. Thanks!!!

4. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    things I always freeze:

spaghetti sauce

meat balls,

meat loaf,

lasagna: but i cut up and freeze in small portions in addition to a family size portion. That way it can be used for lunch, or whatever.

homemade soups and chili's (in indivi. and family size)

bbq chicken: just like MissPrissy's pulled pork, but w/ chicken instead.

Not always, but I have froze pizza dough balls, and then pulled them out and put in fridge the night before.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can cook waffles and pancakes and freeze those too. Pop in the oven or micro to heat and eat with scrambled eggs.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I was wondering about the pancakes and waffles....I am going to try that out.

Cant let my husband see the pulled pork, he'll have me in the kitchen tonight!!!

7. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Beans or bean soup
    Enchiladas
    stewed meat (i don't freeze potatoes so I add those when I thaw the meat).
    homemade pot pies

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  8. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Mac and cheese

My mom used to put pieces of waxed paper between the pancakes before freezing them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by