To get Turkeys or not to get Turkeys. THAT is the question!

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
Ok. I got the idea with Thanksgiving coming up to get a turkey or two to raise for next year (T-giving and/or Christmas). I love the idea of knowing that my turkey didn't get antibiotics or hormones and had a humane life. However, as my DH was quick to point out, we live in Suburbia. Turkeys would be legal to own (I checked, they're tecnically defined as a fowl which is covered in the codes) but we don't want to annoy ourselves and neighbors with a lot of noise. He's also not to keen on the idea in the first place.

Suggestions? Insights? Anything helps!

Females are quiet, just smaller. If you don't mind a smaller bird and you want turkeys, you could go that route.

You could also get BBW and butcher before they start gobbling.

I would get Guinea's for a few weeks, when you get rid of those the neighbors will be so happy they wont even notice the turkeys
smile.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Next time warn me!

Seriously, I really don't think just a few would be that noisy unless you have them there during breeding season. JMO

If you have a covered run you could try the BB's. The females, in particular, will fly when young but not like the heritage. The noise is nothing compared to a yapping ankle biter.

I have 3 heritage breed turkeys, they are about 1 and a half years old now (just pets and for eggs to eat). They are all girls though, so I dont know how loud boys are, but my girls are really very quiet. I dont hear much from them unless I am out with them and they are begging for treats.

I dont think with just a few turkeys you will have a very big problem with noise. They can be very loud when they want to be, but if I was you, I wouldnt let sound be the reason you dont get them. They do eat alot of feed and the poop is bigger and smellier then chickens (in my experience), but they are pretty fun as babies and nice birds to have as pets who can be food later.

I have two Toms...that I bought to raise for Thanksgiving and Christmas THIS year.....I don't have neighbors BUT I will tell you they are LOUD.....It took them forever to "gobble" but now that they do, they "gobble" ALL the time...over every single little noise....

However, these two are my only experience...

idunno.gif

Most people do not know how friendly turkeys are compared to chickens. They have very good personalities and it becomes very hard for many people. Do you butcher your chickens?

If you have grumpy neighbors, then they might not like the noise. I had one neighbor that complained my horses where noisy.

Back
Top Bottom