To Grit or when Not to Grit.. that's the Question !!!

GinaSki

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Hi All ! Have had five great girls that I got from someone on this forum... had them about a week and we're having loads of fun getting used to each other... I am new at this chicken thing !!! When I was buying provisions, layer pellets , scratch and ground oyster shell at the feed store the guy told me that I did not need grit
hmm.png
.... The girls have access to a large penned in run and are just now getting ( one at time) out to 'range' in the side yard,.... so... grit or not to grit remains the question.... can someone guide me ???
Thanks...

Welcome to the wonderfull world of chickens. They are so much fun, and very relaxing to watch.
Cn you not let them all out at once? I am sure they would love to peck around together.
If they are getting out, and have oyster shell...as laying hens.....they wont need the grit...however, a sandbox would be lots of fun...I use playground sand. They will dust bathe in it, and sometimes peck it, prolly ingesting just what they need.

I don't give our free-range chickens grit I also use sand in their pen and oyster shell outside the pen since they have access to the yard around 12-15 hours a day. I have gone both ways with chicks now with our 1 month olds I don't mix any with their food but they go to a tractor outside anywhere from 8-10 hours a day.

If chickens are on only commercial feed, they dont need grit...

If chickens get to free range they also don't need grit...

I think the only time they need grit is if they can't find rocks free rainging or if you are giving treats and they are not on a dirt ground.

Well, yes ... I could let them out all at once BUT I had an 'issue' over the weekend .. when one of the girls decided she was not ready to return to the run... and it was not fun .... so I let them out one at a time until I am sure they will get back in the pen when I need them too..... I am hoping another week or two and we will all get along .....
smile.png

If you only want to let them out for a couple of hours, try doing it at the end of the day. Then, they should go back to their coop to roost, when it starts getting dark. If you're trying to put them back in that little pen in the middle of the day, when they are out having big fun, well, I bet they aren't co-operating!
lol.png

Yes.. you ARE correct... is was almost noon and I had somewhere to go and did not want to leave them 'unattended' .... so I attempted to shooo them back to the run.... for some... there was no shooo-ing..... they were having WAY to much fun !!!! Lesson learned !!!! So I will try to get them out after work until almost dark.... that may be the answer ... Thanks !!!

I know I had issues with mine today. I just wanted them in before storm. The 1 yr olds went right in their pen. The little ones did not want to go in at all. But with a little help, we got them penned and now the storm is coming in, and all are safe and I don't have to get wet later.

Back
Top Bottom