To Guinea or not to Guinea - That is the question!

I have two pearl grey guinea living with my flock of 20 chickens and I love/hate them. I had ordered three from the feed mill at the same time that I ordered 3 silkies. I lost 2 of the silkies and 1 keat (some older birds attacked them, lesson learned) Anyway, the two remaining are oddly bonded with my silkie and the other chicks that I got a week or two later. When they go out to free range they call the other birds and wait until they all come out of the run. They pick a spot to forage and literally chorale and herd the others to the chosen spot. If a few lag behind, they round them up and guide them to the right spot. One time the silkie got locked in the run and they were on the outside. The male WOULD NOT leave her. He paced out side that run frantically trying to get to her for over 15 minutes until I figured out what was wrong. Likewise my silkie was trying to get to him! This is why I love them.

Why I hate them? They are so FREAKING loud! A rooster crow is nothing compared to the constant alarm calls! Also, I got an EE rooster, so that I can raise my own chicks and they are harassing him. I have a feeling that it will only get worse next spring.

All in all, I do not believe that I would get them again. A good rooster should help care for his flock the way the guineas do, and I am more interested in chicken egg production and breeding.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lori
That reminds me of mine! My female guinea goes foraging with my two turkey hens! Mine seem to chase the flock trying to get a feather. But I love them still there so funny!

It looks like I am getting a couple of Guineas tomorrow. Wish me luck! If it doesn't work out, I have a friend that is happy to have them.

In the meantime, I have 6 younger chickens. The Guineas I think are a month or two old. Is it okay for me to put them in the chicken run right away?

Thanks!

It looks like I am getting a couple of Guineas tomorrow. Wish me luck! If it doesn't work out, I have a friend that is happy to have them.

In the meantime, I have 6 younger chickens. The Guineas I think are a month or two old. Is it okay for me to put them in the chicken run right away?

Thanks!

Putting them in with the chickens right away is not a good idea for a number of reasons.

The first reason is that you should always quarantine any new poultry before introducing them to the flock to avoid bringing in new diseases.

The second reason is they are guineas and need to be confined so that they cannot leave before they become accustomed to and accept their new home.

Back
Top Bottom