To help or not to help? I don’t know!

Jennyfromtheblok

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
I have a maran egg that pipped about 24 hours ago. I can see it moving around but not much progress has been made today, a slightly bigger hole but no progress in quite a few hours. It only seems to be poking it’s beak out in the same area it’s already pipped through. I had one who pipped much later that is already out. I don’t know if I should help or not. I don’t want to intervene and cause damage or not intervene and the chick die. I’m torn! Should I wait longer?

Attachments

• 33FFCBF6-486C-4D16-BF5E-424D1086CCEC.jpeg
    33FFCBF6-486C-4D16-BF5E-424D1086CCEC.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 22
I have a maran egg that pipped about 24 hours ago. I can see it moving around but not much progress has been made today, a slightly bigger hole but no progress in quite a few hours. It only seems to be poking it’s beak out in the same area it’s already pipped through. I had one who pipped much later that is already out. I don’t know if I should help or not. I don’t want to intervene and cause damage or not intervene and the chick die. I’m torn! Should I wait longer?
The humidity is far too low, it should be around 75%. That membrane is really dried out, and is probably making the chick stuck. The pip is also in the wrong place, which means he's malpositioned. Because it's in the wrong place, that means the external pip was also his internal pip, so I'd give an additional 24 hours.
I'd raise the humidity, remove that hatched chick, and wait.
Is the one in question peeping at all?

The humidity is far too low, it should be around 75%. That membrane is really dried out, and is probably making the chick stuck. The pip is also in the wrong place, which means he's malpositioned. Because it's in the wrong place, that means the external pip was also his internal pip, so I'd give an additional 24 hours.
I'd raise the humidity, remove that hatched chick, and wait.
Is the one in question peeping at all?
The humidity has been around 71 percent. But it keeps fluctuating. I’m not sure that external thermometer is right because the actual incubator says it’s higher. I will raise the humidity and keep my fingers crossed. I was afraid to shrink wrap it by opening the incubator to take the other chick out. I can’t tell if it’s peeping because the other one is so loud.

Back
Top Bottom