to high temperature in incubator

beajaeger

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
Dalton, GA
Please help: obviously the thermometer went bad in my incubator. However, my New Hampshire Red's eggs were exposed to about 104 degrees for several hours. Did they survive? It was on the 17th day of incubating them - just 4 days before hatching. Now, I am praying and crying, that they could be dead. Is there a chance they are still alive?

They should be ok. Hopefully your thermometer runs a little high anyway like a couple of mine do. I've hit 104 before and they were fine. Hope yours are too!!

Thanks a lot for your reply - I really appreciate it. I made the swiming test this morning in water with 99.9 degree. Two of my 6 eggs still were bouncing. The rest did not move at all. But, I put them back in the incubator and measure the temperature now with a fever thermometer. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity. (Albert Einstein)

What is the swimming test? I've never heard of that!

Do you have a still air or forced air incubator? With a still air, you want to aim for temps around 101-102. Mine LG still air) hit 103 and occasionally 104 (but not for long because I panicked). I just use the digital thermometer/hygrometer combo from Walmart and even when I have two in there, both read differently. I have noticed that 102 seems to be the target temp. Last hatch I kept it around 100-101 and had a 75% hatch rate. The ones I'm hatching now have been at 102-103 and the hatching is going better (that's what the thermometer says but I think it is 101-102). The only thing to watch is when you run higher temps, they hatch sooner. When I took mine off the turner on day 18, I already had a pip or two. Two chicks hatched day 19, more on day 20, and as of today, day 21, I've already had 10 hatch this morning.

So all I can tell you is definitely keep it around 101-102 if you can and keep an eye on them. Good luck and keep us all posted!!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I am having a still air incubator and - fortunately I also have a hygro - thermometer from Walmart. You really comforted me with hope, that still all 6 chicks are alive. Thank you so much

the swimming test I got from a German website. You put the eggs 4 days before hatching in a bowl with 99.9 degree warm water. The chicks which are alive will bounce up and down. Eggs that are submerging are dead. This also is good for the chick babies to get some extra humidity to soften the egg shell for hatching.
D.gif

With still air, the level you check the temp. is the main thing. top of egg 101. Large egg dont do as well in the still air,plus eggs should be about the same size.

Like quail and geese, where would you set the temp.

High temps. is the killer, better cooler than to hot.

Back
Top Bottom