To keep or not to keep handsome Cream Legbar Cockerel--any takers?

I am a believer that the flock is more important than an individual bird. I keep a flock, I do not keep a group of pet chickens, there is a difference, in that one is more romantic, but as Aart is fond of saying romance often meets reality with chickens and one cannot wish a bird to be nice.

I think that the rooster is not working out, and you and the hens will be happier with him gone. I think you would be happier with just a hen flock, but there are good roosters out there, it is not a good plan to put up with one that isn't. They most generally do not get better, and personally, I would bet this rooster will become human aggressive given time.

The problem for you of hatching out eggs, is that at least half (and often times more) will be roosters. Flocks are limited to a number of roosters, too many roosters in a small set up will cause a lot of problems. I see that you did not have great luck with ordering just pullets, but you will have worse luck with straight run hatched chicks. With your vegetarian beliefs, these roosters will be an ongoing problem.

Put him on craigslist, don't ask any questions, know that you gave him a good life.

Mrs K

I am a believer that the flock is more important than an individual bird. I keep a flock, I do not keep a group of pet chickens, there is a difference, in that one is more romantic, but as Aart is fond of saying romance often meets reality with chickens and one cannot wish a bird to be nice.

I think that the rooster is not working out, and you and the hens will be happier with him gone. I think you would be happier with just a hen flock, but there are good roosters out there, it is not a good plan to put up with one that isn't. They most generally do not get better, and personally, I would bet this rooster will become human aggressive given time.

The problem for you of hatching out eggs, is that at least half (and often times more) will be roosters. Flocks are limited to a number of roosters, too many roosters in a small set up will cause a lot of problems. I see that you did not have great luck with ordering just pullets, but you will have worse luck with straight run hatched chicks. With your vegetarian beliefs, these roosters will be an ongoing problem.

Put him on craigslist, don't ask any questions, know that you gave him a good life.

Mrs K
x2

Re homing roosters is not easy. No body wants an aggressive roo. If you are in luck, there might be an animal rescue someplace that would be willing to take him in. Perhaps near you or one you could ship him to. But that is both expensive and a matter of luck finding such a place.

I have to agree with Mrs K, you probably don't want to be hatching any more eggs. What would you do if you ended up with 5 cockerels with bad attitudes? They're known for it. Sure, many a roo is fairly well mannered, but MANY are not. It's just the reality of roosters.

One solution, one you may not like, is to give away roosters you don't want to keep. Like Mrs K said, don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to. Because most free roosters will end up as dinner for someone. Just don't ask the question.

Yeah, this is excellent advise, Mrs. K.. I am way too sentimental. I have him separated from the hens in his own coop and run. He can see the girls but not get to them, (is this cruel?) and am hoping Panda, the one most recently ostracized, will reintegrate with the flock. They are pecking a bit at her but I have drawn the curtains in hopes they can figure out their chicken issues without me getting in the way.

Craigslist gave me hebbie jebbies. So many unwanted roosters. I've called around to farms etc., hoping his Cream Legbar state will raise interest beyond dinner table. No one around here is processing chickens--unless in other than humane way. I really don't want the guy to be terrorized in his last moments. Might have to do it myself.

Which means he'll be in isolation for years to come.
roll.png

In any case, thank you for the advise. Too true. Now I just have to get myself to implement it.

Back
Top Bottom